Systems Engineer - Aberdeen, MD
EOIR Technologies - Aberdeen, MD
This job is no longer active. View similar jobs
SYSTEMS ENGINEER - ABERDEEN, MD
LOCATION: Aberdeen, MD
EDUCATION: BS in an engineering field
EXPERIENCE: 8-14 years
POSITION TYPE: Full time
MISC. REQUIREMENTS: None
WORK SHIFT: First
GENERAL JOB DESCRIPTION
The Systems Engineer applies intensive and diversified knowledge of C4ISR systems and engineering principles to manage development projects and projects involving full spectrum engineering support from design, production, and fielding through sustainment. Primarily, this multi-disciplined person will lead the systems development and/or production of tactical/mobile military and fixed C4ISR systems and the associated network architectures. This will involve understanding communications equipment and IP-based networks; integration of electronics, electro-optical and sensors, Radio/RF propagation and/or electronic warfare (EW) technologies, ground and personnel support equipment; mechanical and electro-mechanical systems and components; and electronics packaging. Capabilities include supporting new business development, working independently, developing creative design solutions with the support of other engineers and an assigned design/production/engineering staff.
The System Engineer mnages assigned projects within specified schedule and budget constraints by creating and maintaining a formal development plan and providing visible project control in the form of periodic project reviews, status reports, and estimates to completion. The candidate assures that designs meet customer-imposed and system-allocated requirements including military, regulatory, and statutory specifications, when applicable. High workmanship standards are expected, and compliance with all department standards and procedures is mandatory.
Design tasks include: concept refinement based on analyzing and synthesizing customer needs and requirements; identifying key drivers and performing tradeoffs emphasizing best value; architecture development and roll-out planning; make/buy approach and cost estimating; system/subsystem integration and test planning; specification of subsystems/components; prototype/quick reaction development; and documentation. Technical documentation includes writing trade study reports, test plans and reports, and operating and maintenance manuals and contributing to technical proposals, etc.
* BS in an engineering field.
* 8-14 years related technical experience required.
* 5-10 years technical management and project management/control experience.
* Logical and decisive analytical skills. Ability to develop conceptual designs, perform trade studies, and make, and understandably document, rational design decisions.
* Good writing skills. Capable of generating reports that clearly and accurately define design rationales, analytical and trade study methods/results, and the like. Capable of generating presentations, specifications, plans/reports, manuals, and inputs to technical proposals.
* Basic understanding of project planning and control, including risk-balancing and project acceleration.
* Good supervisory skills. Able to delegate/assign tasks and clearly define objectives/specifications.
* Good team skills. Able to work with peers, inside and outside the organization, to accomplish objectives and tasks.
* Articulate with good communications skills (both verbal and written). Capable of interfacing well with customers, peer organizations, subcontracts, and vendors.
* Ability to envision and document system solutions and decompose into manageable subsystems.
* Ability to use common CAD tools such as Solid Works.
* Significant knowledge of C4ISR, including how used, how integrated, and how deployed. Understand the state of the art in integrating C4ISR technologies into the multi-agency or CECOM C4ISR ecosystem.
* Proven knowledge and expertise in communications and networking -based electrical and/or computer engineering. Specifically, knowledge of secure communications systems architecture, computer/networking systems, communications fundamentals, electrical properties and wiring (as relate to red/black, INFOSEC, COMSEC, etc.) and power systems.
* Practical knowledge of mechanical structures related to shelters, trailers, and other road vehicles and mobile systems, and how those structures are best used for C4ISR systems transportability.
* Practical knowledge of human engineering, command center layouts, and communications operation best practices in order to optimize the system solution for defined requirements, including maximizing space, reducing weight, and improving deployment and tear-down.
* 5 years experience working proposals.
* SOA and/or Cloud Computing knowledge.
* Programming experience with Java, Python, C/C++.
* Knowledge of SDLC methods used for requirement capture/tracing and software system modeling tools such as Rational Rose and UML, respectively.
Back to Open Positions