- Job Descriptions
- Area, Ethnic, & Cultural Studies Teacher
Responsible for instructing people about the cultural and development of an area or ethnic group. Specializes in one or more cultures or ethnicities, such as Latin America or women's studies. Conducts research, teaches students, and holds seminars.
- Teach courses or seminars about cultures and ethnicities.
- Prepare coursework and lesson plans.
- Conduct extensive research.
- Travel to be immersed in culture.
- Publish findings in trade journals, magazines, or books.
- Deliver lectures and exams pertaining to topics such as gender studies, race and ethnic relations, and cross-cultural perspectives.
- Develop curriculum plans.
- Create syllabuses and specify course materials.
- Maintain attendance records.
- Read current literature surrounding different cultures and ethnicities.
- Create projects designed to enhance lectures.
- Travel with students to parts of the world described in studies.
- Instruct students about language barriers, gender identity, male and female roles, customs, traditions, food, dress, and religious preference within a specific culture or ethnicity.
- Advise students on becoming a similar teacher or how to intensify studies.
- Recruit students to join the class.
- Hold seminars and lectures at local organizations.
- Keep records of grades, grade papers, and perform other administrative duties as needed.
- Write grant proposals to gain funding for further research.