- Job Descriptions
- Billing/Coding Specialist
Responsible for entering and coding patient services into a computer system and generating invoices to be sent to the patient. Sorts and files paperwork, handles insurance claims, and performs collections duties.
- Translate patient information and into alphanumeric medical code.
- Collect, post, and manage patient account payments.
- Submit claims to insurance.
- Prepare and review patient statements.
- Review delinquent accounts and call for collection purposes.
- Process payments from insurance companies.
- Maintain strict confidentiality.
- Code patient services and enter into computer.
- Sort and file paperwork.
- Ensure healthcare facilities are reimbursed for all procedures.
- Handle information about patient treatment, diagnosis, and related procedures to ensure proper coding.
- Know several different coding systems, including Level 1 HCPCS and Level 2 HCPCS.
- Use computers to read and organized charts.
- Follow up to see if a claim is accepted or denied.
- Investigate rejected claim to see why denial was issued.
- Investigate insurance fraud and report if found.