Responsible for creating products and procedures to solve medical problems. Researches, develops, and evaluates systems and products such as medical equipment, artificial organs, instruments used during surgery, information systems, care delivery systems, and health management.
- Develop procedures and devices for use in the medical community.
- Perform extensive research and product development.
- Develop and evaluate systems and products such as artificial organs, prostheses (artificial devices that replace missing body parts), instrumentation, medical information systems, and health management and care delivery systems.
- Design magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) and devices for automating insulin injections or controlling body functions.
- Specify functional requirements during development phase.
- Integrate components into the final design.
- Evaluate the effectiveness of the design and change if necessary.
- Estimate cost, reliability, and safety factors.
- Test products thoroughly for safety issues and defects.
- Use computers extensively to produce and analyze designs.
- Generate specifications for parts.
- Control the efficiency of processes.
- Supervise technicians and other engineers during development phase.