- Job Descriptions
- Boat Builders & Shipwright
Reads and interprets blueprints to build ships and boats. Makes repairs as necessary. Uses a variety of tools, instruments, and materials to create the boat.
- Build boats according to blueprint specifications.
- Use woodworking tools to create ribs, keel, sidings, and other support structures.
- Design and create blueprints for different types of water vessels.
- Order materials and negotiate prices.
- Find and select quality lumber.
- Construct frames and structures out of raw materials.
- Attach fittings, plates, and bulkheads.
- Measure lumber and cut into shapes to fit boat.
- Create dimensional reference points on hull.
- Construct the wooden frame.
- Assemble materials for hull and install timbers.
- Mark dimensional lines on lumber.
- Smooth and finish surfaces using sanders.
- Apply finishes to lumber.
- Apply paint to ship or boat.
- Fix or correct defects.
- Coordinate work schedules, time frames, and budgets.