Responsible for operating bridges and canal locks to ensure safe passage of ships through island waterways, under bridges, and near shores. Lifts drawbridges, locks, and lowers.
- Operates the machinery that opens and closes railroad or highway drawbridges; horizontally or vertically adjustable bridges; or canal locks and dams.
- Open and close canal locks and dams, drawbridges, and adjustable bridges.
- Activate traffic signals, alarms, and lights to signal captains and motorists.
- Watch for approaching vessels and time the lifting of the bridge to coincide with ship's arrival.
- Estimate vessels' size and speed.
- Communicate with captain on board ship.
- Move levers to pull bridge up and down.
- Use signals and equipment to direct movement of vessels in locks or bridge areas.
- Clean, maintain, and operate equipment.
- Monitor and inspect canal and bridge equipment for defects.
- Listen for a blowing whistle to indicate a vessel wants to pass.
- Log the name, type, and destination of the ship or train.
- Fill out the necessary accident reports and make minor repairs if the equipment is damaged.