- Job Descriptions
Responsible for managing the catalog of materials at a library. Inputs data about materials into electronic catalog to ensure users can locate books, serials, films, or other documents. Prepares bibliographic and item records for monographs, journals and other library material.
- Categorize and classify library materials, including books, CDs, films, newspapers, or other documents.
- Follow library standards and guidelines when classifying documents.
- Consider rules of Anglo-American Cataloging Rules, Library of Congress subject heading policies, Dewey Decimal Classification, Arabic subject headings, MARC21 and catalog materials in categories of advanced specialized backgrounds.
- Ensure all material can be retrieved conveniently using standardized methods.
- Perform original and copy cataloging and adapt online records according to guidelines in all subject areas and languages.
- Input details about new material into library catalog.
- Adjust rules when new type of material surfaces.
- Consult with colleagues on improving cataloging process.
- Determine appropriate treatments for series or multipart items
- Organize large backlogs of materials.
- Organize materials according to highest priority.
- Attend conferences and continuing education classes.
- Develop and maintain parts of the catalog that pertain to collections under specific jurisdiction.
- Serve on library committee.
- Work alongside subject specialists.
- Conduct complex research.