Responsible for operating telephone switchboard to facilitate lines of communication, including local and long-distance calls.
- Connect customers making incoming calls to the proper person.
- Greet customers warmly.
- Operate switchboard and helps customers establish local and long-distance calls.
- Observe signal light on switchboard, plug cords into trunk-jack, and press button to make connections.
- Insert tickets in time-stamping device to be imprinted with accurate time.
- Record time of all calls.
- Utilize charts to determine phone call charges.
- Request coin deposits for calls if necessary.
- Give out subscribers' telephone numbers.
- Quote long distance charges.
- Calculate rates.
- Make long-distance connections.
- Access alphabetical and geographical directories.
- Handle special billing requests.
- Assist with credits or refunds for improperly dialed numbers or missed connections.
- Handle emergency calls, referring caller to 911.
- Assist children or people with physical disabilities to make calls.
- Suggest alternate spellings or locations for directories that can't be located.
- Operate paging systems or other systems of bells or buzzers to notify recipients of incoming calls.
- Keep directory updated.
- Provide relay service for hearing-impaired users.