Child Care Worker
Job SummaryResponsible for supervising, nurturing, and caring for children typically from ages 6 weeks to 5 years old, before the child enters kindergarten. Welcomes children each day, provides meals, performs crafts and activities, changes diapers, and ensures children behave well when in contact with other children.
- Nurture and care for children while parents are at work or school.
- Supervise older children before and after school.
- Provide nutritious meals.
- Wipe hands and mouth before and after meals.
- Perform good hand-washing techniques for disease and infection control.
- Organize activities and implement curricula that stimulate children's physical, emotional, intellectual, and social growth.
- Bathe, dress, and feed children.
- Wash clothes and clean rooms.
- Prepare bottles and change diapers.
- Ensure children have adequate supplies from home, such as diaper cream and diapers.
- Prepare children for school.
- Provide for a child's basic needs.
- Comfort children when they are crying.
- Determine cause of distress.
- Report behavior to parents each day.
- Schedule conferences to discuss a child's needs.
- Make suggestions for things parents can work on at home.
- Recruit parent volunteers to work with the children and participate in administrative decisions and program planning.
- Prepare daily and long-term schedules of activities.
- Supervise children while they are playing outside or on a playground.
- Take children on field trips.