- Job Descriptions
- Civil Engineer
Responsible for designing buildings, roads, municipal structures, airports, sewage systems, dams, bridges, tunnels, and waterways. Examines area to determine best routes and considers factors such as weather, erosion, governmental regulations, and environmental hazards.
- Design roads, buildings, airports, tunnels, dams, bridges, and water supply and sewage systems.
- Participate in the supervision of the construction of the structures and roads.
- Determine necessary materials needed for construction.
- Estimate construction costs and create budgets.
- Estimate how long project will take.
- Design canals, flood-control systems, and irrigation systems.
- Study water sources and develop ways of using water that will benefit the community.
- Design dams and reservoirs.
- Create systems that purify water and treat wastes.
- Control water and air pollution alongside environmental engineers.
- Plan highways, subways, airports, and railroads.
- Develop ways to use soil to improve building foundations.
- Test work and refine processes.
- Integrate components into the final design.
- Evaluate the effectiveness of the design and change if necessary.
- Estimate cost, reliability, and safety factors.
- Use computers extensively to produce and analyze designs.
- Generate specifications for parts.
- Control the efficiency of processes.
- Supervise technicians and other engineers during development phase.