Responsible for handling insurance claims filed by policyholders. Plans and schedules work needed to process claim, interviews claimant and witnesses, and investigates claims.
- Investigate and process insurance claims filed by policyholders.
- Interview claimant and witnesses to gather pertinent information.
- Handle and process variety of claims, including automobile, life, and home insurance claims.
- Handle property claims involving damage to buildings and structures, or liability claims involving personal injuries or third-person property damage from liability situations, such as motor vehicle accidents, slip and falls, dog bites, or alleged negligent behavior.
- Inspect property damage to determine extent of damages.
- Verify that coverage applies through an insurance policy.
- Evaluate damages to ascertain compensation amount.
- Consult police and hospital records.
- Consult with accountants, architects, construction workers, engineers, lawyers, and physicians to get expert evaluation.
- Examine photographs and statements.
- Listen to or watch audio or video surveillance.
- Record data and statements in report.
- Evaluate all information to determine how claim should be handled.
- Negotiate with claimant to settle claim.
- Work with attorneys to defend insurer's position is claim is contested.
- Issue payout amounts.
- Prepare and present claims to insurance companies.