- Job Descriptions
- Construction Driller
Responsible for operating drills to bore into the earth and extract samples or drill through rock.
- Operate rotary, churn, and pneumatic drills to bore into the earth or other materials such as rock.
- Calibrate machine and select drill according to job.
- Start and stop drilling motion.
- Retract auger to force earth up from hole.
- Position machine, augers, and pipes.
- Blast holes in open-pit mines and quarries.
- Operate tracked or truck-mounted rotary drilling, air-track or other drilling machines.
- Measure location and stake out pattern of holes to be drilled, load blast holes with explosives and detonate explosives to dislodge coal, ore or rock.
- Read instructions and diagrams.
- Assemble primer charges using selected detonators, fuses, detonating cords and other materials.
- Operate tracked or truck-mounted drill equipped with auger or other attachment to drill holes for building foundations or pilings.
- Tap subsurface water and salt deposits.
- Remove core samples during mineral exploration or soil testing.
- Use explosives to facilitate excavation of dirt and other material.