- Job Descriptions
Responsible for handling the bodies of the deceased. Determines causes of death, works with authorities on investigations, and identifies human remains.
- Determine manner and causes of death.
- Examine bodies and pinpoint bruises, injuries, and abrasions.
- Identify human remains, including skeletons.
- Assist with matching missing people to human remains.
- Conduct cause of death investigations.
- Aid authorities in homicide cases.
- Visit crime scenes and operate equipment.
- Visit death scenes and oversee removal of body.
- Make final determination in cause of death.
- Fill out paperwork.
- Complete death certificates.
- Locate and notify next of kin.
- Perform autopsies.
- Take specimens from body, including blood, hair, organ, and tissue samples.
- Conduct pathological and toxicological analyses.
- Dispense personal effects of deceased.
- Oversees disposal of unclaimed bodies.
- Testify at inquests, hearings, and court trials.
- Lead medical staff as investigations are completed.
- Explain cause and manner of death of next of kin.