- Job Descriptions
Responsible for gathering and reporting on news and information. Keeps public informed about breaking news and ongoing events both domestically and internationally.
- Gather information for news or human interest stories.
- Utilize a number of sources to gain different perspectives and facts.
- Conduct interviews.
- Direct cameraman to capture best angles.
- Meet with government officials and conduct interviews.
- Specialize in covering the news in a certain field such as science, politics, or crime.
- Travel to places where events are unfolding.
- Work for daily or weekly newspapers.
- Cover the beats for certain subjects.
- Take photographs.
- Perform general office work.
- Write, edit, and revise body copy for articles.
- Work on freelance projects for magazines, blogs, or newspapers.
- Transmit news stories and photographs via satellite dishes that feed the information directly into computers.
- Convert information into short news clips edited for broadcasting.
- Describe background and details of events.
- Look over notes before a broadcast.
- Determine an article's length and format.
- Attend political, sports, news, and other events to gather information.
- Investigate crimes, natural disasters, shootings, and other breaking news.
- Report on specialized fields such as medicine, science and technology, politics, foreign affairs, sports, arts, consumer affairs, business, religion, crime, or education.
- Establish priorities of events and determine order in which they will be broadcast.
- Fact-check sources and information.