- Job Descriptions
Responsible for preserving important documents, artifacts, and objects, including paintings, photographs, stamps, sculptures, coins, and other objects of historic worth.
- Arrange, catalogue, and exhibit collections at various places, including museums, universities, governments, and zoos.
- Maintain collections with conservators.
- Acquire important documents for storage or display.
- Clean and maintain documents and objects using special techniques.
- Catalogue and analyze valuable objects for researchers.
- Coordinate educational and public outreach programs, including workshops, lectures, and tours.
- Research topics surrounding the collection.
- Handle records and documents of potential value.
- Handle objects with cultural, biological, and historical significance.
- Administer museums, zoos, aquariums, botanical gardens, nature centers, and historic sites.
- Direct the acquisition of collections.
- Negotiate and authorize the purchase, sale, exchange, or loan of collections.
- Authenticate, evaluate, and categorize specimens.
- Oversee research projects and educational programs.
- Become an active participant in fundraising and public relations.
- Write and edit grant proposals and journal articles.
- Attend meetings, conventions, and civic events.
- Work in a specialty field such as botany, paleontology, art, or history.
- Direct and oversee museum events.