- Job Descriptions
- Diagnostic Medical Sonographer
Responsible for performing diagnostic patient care services using an ultrasound machine. Operates equipment and performs and communicates results during diagnostic examinations.
- Perform diagnostic procedures using sonographic equipment.
- Schedule patients for procedure.
- Obtain and record patient history.
- Maneuver patients into appropriate position for procedure.
- Spread a gel onto the part of the patient’s body where the waves will need to go.
- Use transducer to study images of organs, tissues, or blood flow inside the body.
- Examine abdomen, breasts, female reproductive system, prostate, heart, and blood vessels.
- Record anatomical, pathological, and/or physiological data for interpretation by a physician.
- Perform clinical assessment during examinations.
- Identify, record, and adapt procedures as appropriate to anatomical, pathological, diagnostic information and images.
- Identify normal and abnormal findings.
- Analyze sonograms and relay findings to physician.
- Maintain ultrasound equipment and supplies.
- Prepare preliminary reports.
- Address problems and inquiries from patient.
- Organize daily work schedule.
- Order further testing if needed.
- Manage imaging departments.