Responsible for reviewing, editing, and revising the work of writers. Writes as needed for publications and manages writing staff. Supervises the creation of articles, books, magazines, journals, and other content.
- Review and revise content written by other writers.
- Prepare material for publications such as newspapers, books, magazines, or other publications.
- Review story ideas proposed by staff and freelance writers.
- Delegate articles to staff writers.
- Review and edit drafts of books and articles and provide commentary to support revision.
- Correct errors in spelling, punctuation, and syntax.
- Oversee the production of publications.
- Review proposals for books.
- Buy publication rights from authors.
- Hire and supervise writing staff.
- Plan budgets and negotiate contracts with freelance writers.
- Check copy for style and readability.
- Review and approve proofs submitted by composing room prior to publication production.
- Fact-check articles.
- Carry out research and confirm sources for writers.
- Discuss projects with artists, typesetters, layout personnel, marketing directors, and production managers.
- Arrange page layouts of articles, photographs, and advertising.
- Help writer compose headlines.
- Prepare final copy for print.