Electrician Job Description
Responsible for installing, inspecting, maintaining, and repairing electrical and power systems in homes and businesses. Installs wiring and control equipment to power electricity.
- Install wiring systems into factories, businesses, and homes.
- Upgrade existing wiring.
- Follow State and local building codes during installation and inspection.
- Repair electrical equipment.
- Read and interpret blueprints.
- Examine diagrams of circuits, outlets, load centers, and panel boards.
- Determine where wires and components will be situated.
- Install and connect wires to circuit breakers, outlets, and transformers.
- Use tools such as conduit benders, screwdrivers, pliers, knives, hacksaws, and wire strippers.
- Replace faulty circuit breakers, fuses, switches, electrical and electronic components, or wire.
- Replace old fuse boxes.
- Hook up appliances for power.
- Install new lighting and ceiling fans.
- Repair motors, transformers, generators, and electronic controllers on machine tools and industrial robots.
- Consult with engineers, engineering technicians, line installers and repairers, or industrial machinery mechanics and maintenance workers when performing installations.
- Rewire homes and businesses.
- Assist in home inspections.