- Job Descriptions
- Emergency Medical Technician
Responsible for providing immediate medical attention for the sick and injured. Performs CPR, provides oxygen, and provides other assistance to victims of trauma.
- Respond to 911 calls for emergencies.
- Ride in ambulance to scene of accident or injury.
- Respond to incidents such as automobile accidents, heart attacks, slips and falls, childbirth, and gunshot wounds.
- Assess nature patient's condition and extent of injury.
- Ask patient important questions if patient is conscious.
- Determine pre-existing medical conditions.
- Use backboard to immobilize patient.
- Secure patient in ambulance for transport.
- Drive patient to hospital or other care facility.
- Take and monitor vital signs.
- Transfer patients to ER and give attendees information about injury.
- Document and record trip.
- Replace used supplies.
- Check equipment.
- Decontaminate the interior of the ambulance.
- Care for patient at scene of accidents.
- Manage respiratory, cardiac, and trauma injuries.
- Administer medications orally and intravenously, interpret electrocardiograms (EKGs), perform endotracheal intubations, and use monitors.