Responsible for leading and supervising a team of engineers as they develop, test, modify, and create solutions to technical problems.
- Supervise and lead engineers, scientists and technicians who design machinery, plan and develop civil projects, and oversee production and quality control.
- Direct and coordinate production, operations, quality assurance, testing, or maintenance in industrial plants.
- Oversee the research and development of new products and procedures.
- Hire, train, and mentor other engineers and supporting staff.
- Write performance reviews and solve internal issues.
- Discuss and lay out project specifications.
- Make detailed plans to accomplish goals.
- Analyze market demand and available resources.
- Review, approve, or modify product designs.
- Prepare budgets, bids, and contracts.
- Negotiate research contracts.
- Approve expenditures.
- Review and recommend contracts.
- Develop cost estimates.
- Draft proposals and reports for clients.
- Improve manufacturing processes and advance scientific research.
- Develop overall concepts for a new product.
- Check technical accuracy of work.
- Establish administrative policies, procedures, and standards.
- Coordinate activities of unit with other units or organizations.
- Confer with higher levels of management.