- This company is committed to hiring veterans.
Cherokee Nation Businesses - Malmstrom AFB, MTThis job is no longer active. View similar jobs
- Cherokee Nation Busin... Cherokee Nation Businesses
- Malmstrom AFB, MT
- Job Type
- Job Classification
- Full Time
- not provided
- 1-Year Certificate
- Company Ref #
- not providednot provided
- AJE Ref #
- [+] More
Cherokee Medical Services provides professional health care staffing services to military hospitals and health clinics across the United States. We are currently seeking Phlebotomist at Malmstrom, AFB near Great Falls, MT.
Summary of Responsibilities
Performs a wide range of procedures involved in the collection and processing of blood. A phlebotomist draws blood from patients or donors in hospital, blood bank, or similar facility for analysis or other medical purposes; assembles equipment, such as tourniquet, needles, blood collection devices, gauze, cotton, and alcohol on work tray, according to requirements for specified tests or procedure; applies tourniquet to arm; locates accessible vein; swabs puncture area with disinfectant; and inserts needle into vein to draw blood into collection tube or bag. The phlebotomist withdraws needle; applies treatment to puncture site; and labels and stores blood container for subsequent processing; may prick finger to draw blood.
• Greets and interviews patients.
• Receives and interprets laboratory request slips, reviews request slips for required information, and determines the fitness of the patient for tests requested by the healthcare provider/physician (i.e., fasting state, liquid intake, medication, dietary instruction.)
• Ensures specimens are collected in the amount and type of specimen required (e.g., with or without a particular anticoagulant) for each laboratory test.
• Enters test requests into the electronic medical record system.
• Performs timed blood collection procedures, such as glucose and lactose tolerance tests. Instructs patients on collection of timed urine collections.
• Collects blood specimens from ambulatory or bed patients via venipuncture, finger, heel, or toe stick, as appropriate, using standardized procedures. The blood collection may require the use of a lancet, capillary tube, pipette, or glass slide for blood smears.
• Performs laboratory hematology analytical procedures to include bleeding times.
• Performs glucose testing using the Accu-Chek glucometer. Performs quality control analysis and documentation of results on the glucometer to verify correct instrument operation.
• Dresses the skin puncture site after blood collection. Carefully observes the patient for any sign or symptoms of physiological reactions after blood collection and takes appropriate first aid measures to prevent injury and stabilizes the patient.
• Reviews specimen labels and properly labels collected blood specimens with appropriate patient identification information and delivers specimens within the established time frames.
• Maintains blood collection tray in a clean, hygienic state and replenishes blood collection supplies as needed. Maintains supply levels for drawing stations and shelves on a daily basis.
• Completes applicable documentation to include manual and computer methods.
• Answers telephones, looks up test results in the laboratory computer, and gives test results to requesting healthcare providers/physicians.
• Processes patient demographic data into the laboratory automated data system or manual system. Identifies and corrects patient data errors. Verifies physician, patient care, and records location identifiers, ward and clinic locations, and provider codes for entering accession information into the computer terminal. Works with wards, clinics, and other medical personnel to resolve missing or incorrect data.
• Receives telephone calls and visitors to the laboratory. Determines nature of call or visit. Directs calls or visitors to appropriate personnel, personally provides the Information requested when routine or procedural matters of the laboratory are involved. Applies established guidelines concerning the release of information on test results, adhering to the provisions to the Privacy Act and Freedom of Information Act (FOIA).
• Adheres to and maintains a system of supply accountability and inventory management with unit supply custodian to ensure adequate stock levels of consumable supplies are available and minimize waste and ensure uninterrupted services.
• Practices general hospital safety, infection control, aseptic and sterile techniques for safely handling sharps, electrical equipment, and blood or blood by-products.
• Ensures all MTF equipment is properly cleaned and stored at the end of each work shift. Ensures preventive maintenance and routine cleaning are performed.
• Ensures a safe work environment and safe employee work habits.
• Must have a minimum high school education or equivalent (GED)
• Must have completed a phlebotomy course or equivalent On-the-Job Training (OJT)
• Certified (registered) by the American Society of Clinical Pathologists (ASCP), National Credentialing Agency (NCA), American Medical Technologist (AMT), or equivalent
• Must have a minimum of 6 months of phlebotomy experience.
We offer competitive pay and a comprehensive employee benefits program including medical, dental, vision, 401(k), life insurance, and paid time off.
Applicants selected will be subject to a U.S. Government security investigation and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information.
Cherokee Medical Services is an equal opportunity and drug free employer.
- Dental Insurance
- Flexible Benefits
- Flexible Work Schedule
- Health Insurance
- Life Insurance
- 401K / Retirement Plan
- Sick Leave
- Vision Insurance