Responsible for working with environmental scientists to observe and monitor the environment and investigate sources of pollution. Takes samples and performs laboratory and field tests.
- Develop programs to monitor environmental pollution and other environmental factors.
- Collect and observe pollutants in laboratory experiments.
- Clean, sterilize, set up, and break down laboratory equipment.
- Set up various equipment and stations in the field to monitor pollution.
- Identify and collect samples of gases, soils, water, industrial wastewater, and asbestos products to conduct tests on pollutant levels and identify sources of pollution.
- Record test data into databases and compare with historical data.
- Prepare reports using data and create summaries, charts, and test results.
- Work under the supervision of environmental scientists.
- Write reports describing the effects of pollution to assist with compliance regulations.
- Help with clean-up at polluted sites.
- Use complex instrumentation and advanced monitoring and testing equipment.
- Maintain hazardous waste databases.
- Write diagrams describing equipment locations.
- Using chemical usage data create databases.
- Collect pollutants at manufacturing plants, streams, rivers, forests, smoke stacks, or beside mechanical equipment.