Responsible for operating mechanical excavating equipment to move and remove earth.
- Uses machines to remove earth.
- Operates dragline, clamshell and other excavating machines.
- Dumps earth into trucks.
- Dredges lakes, streams, and swamps; hauls mud.
- Operates trucks, dump trucks, and bulldozers.
- Operates landfill compaction equipment.
- Covers refuse in sanitary landfill.
- Supervises laborers and equipment operators in excavating work.
- Uses computer applications or other automated systems such as spreadsheets, word processing, calendar, email and database software in performing work assignments.
- Prepares etching solution according to formula.
- Perform activities such as backfilling excavations, vibrating or breaking rock or concrete, and making winter roads.
- Lubricates, adjusts, and repairs machinery, and replaces parts such as gears, bearings, and bucket teeth.
- Set up and inspect equipment.
- Measures and verifies levels of rock or gravel, bases, and other excavated material.
- Moves materials over short distances, such a around a construction site, factory, or warehouse.