Responsible for creating products and methods to prevent or extinguish fires. Devises best ways to escape from fires in homes and buildings. Inspects buildings and homes to determine fire hazards.
- Create methods dealing with fire prevention.
- Inspect buildings and homes for dangerous fire hazards.
- Suggest ways to minimize dangers.
- Plan changes in older buildings to make them safer.
- Study dangerous processes or materials and create safety measures for handling them.
- Teach workers and managers how to handle fires and best ways to escape.
- Advise manufacturers on how to create fire protection equipment.
- Inspect buildings for insurance purposes to determine causes of fire.
- Design and install fire safety equipment.
- Keep municipal properties safe from fire.
- Ensure public observes fire protection regulations.
- Hold training sessions on fire protection and prevention.
- Evaluate fire departments.
- Conduct research on fire retardants.
- Design fire detection equipment, alarm systems, and fire extinguishing devices.
- Identify potential fire hazards in buildings, such as water supplies, exit locations, and construction materials.
- Research methods to extinguish fires and ignition sources.
- Advise on how to extinguish large-scale fires.