Responsible for testing food and liquids to determine physical and chemical properties. Ensures foods comply with FDA standards and regulations.
- Assist food scientists and technologists to research and experiment on food and liquids in laboratories.
- Test food and liquids to determine physical and chemical characteristics.
- Check food for color, consistency, fat content, caloric content, and nutrients.
- Analyze test results and compare with standard tables of caloric and nutritional content.
- Examine samples to identify cell structures or to locate bacteria or extraneous material.
- Mix, boil, cut, blend, separate, or freeze ingredients to make reagents.
- Work on products and ingredients to manufacture food.
- Clean, maintain, operate, and sanitize laboratory equipment, such as microscopes and petri dishes.
- Determine moisture, salt, sugar, or preservative content of food and beverages.
- Use mathematical and chemical procedures to find percentages of ingredients and formulas.
- Record or compile test results or prepare graphs, charts, or reports.
- Test food, food additives, and food containers to ensure they comply with established safety standards
- Assist with food research, development, and quality control.
- Ensure food products are fit for distribution.
- Work to create proper food packaging, including bottles and plastics.
- Inspect foodstuffs, chemicals, and additives to determine whether they are safe and have the proper combination of ingredients.