- Job Descriptions
- Geological Data Technician
Responsible for observing and recording geological data using a variety of instruments, including sonic, electronic, electrical, seismic, or gravity-measuring tools, with the goal of finding oil or gas.
- Collect core samples from geological sites to determine if oil or gas is present.
- Measure and record geological factors and characteristics.
- Utilize instruments such as sonic, electronic, electrical, seismic, or gravity-measuring tools.
- Evaluate cutting samples.
- Operate equipment to secure geological data.
- Record readings in a database.
- Interpret core samples.
- Operate, clean, sanitize, and maintain equipment.
- Work under the supervision of scientists and other technicians.
- Train, supervise, and guide other technicians as they take samples.
- Print recordings of information.
- Develop information to be used in oil, water, and gas well drilling activities.
- Prepare notes, sketches, geological maps and cross-sections.