Responsible for operating heavy duty machines equipped with scrapers or blades to spread earth, grade terrain, or move dirt and rock.
- Drive equipment with blades that level or pick up earth for dumping.
- Use bulldozers, backhoes, and tractors for moving large amounts of dirt.
- Move throttle and depress pedal to begin smoothing or lifting earth.
- Align machine, cutterhead, or depth gauge marker with reference stakes and guidelines on ground or positions equipment.
- Follow directions of assistant on ground.
- Make successive passes over earth until job is done.
- Use tamping machine to smooth down plot.
- Attach different types of blades or attachments depending on job.
- Grease, oil and calibrate machinery.
- Connect hydraulic hoses, belts, mechanical linkage, or power takeoff shaft to tractor.
- Use asphalt paving machines and concrete paving machines to smooth roads.
- Control machine using pedals and levers.
- Practice safety during operation.
- Weld and cut materials.
- Use different kinds of oil and greases.
- Read plans for job completion.
- Work with project manager to ensure job is done to specifications.
- Repair machines as necessary.