- Job Descriptions
- Grinding Machine Set-up Operator
Responsible for setting up and tending grinding machines in order to grind external or internal cylindrical or tapered surfaces of metal pieces. Follows instructions and charts during grinding procedure.
- Grind external or internal cylindrical tapered surfaces.
- Remove metal by the application of abrasives which are bonded to form a rotating wheel.
- Rough and finish flat, cylindrical, and conical surfaces.
- Read and interpret charts, drawings, and blueprints.
- Determine product specifications such as dimensions, tolerances, and number of parts to be ground.
- Collect and assemble required products.
- Determine grinding speeds, feed rates, holding fixtures, and grinding wheels to be used.
- Mount grinding wheel.
- Dress wheel according to specifications.
- Use dressing devices.
- Position work rest to specified height.
- Lift or hoist workpieces.
- Confirm ground workpiece has the correct specifications.
- Change worn grinding wheels.
- Check grinding wheels for cracks.
- Utilize micrometers, calipers, and preset gauges.
- Set up automatic work-feeding device.
- Use proper wheel guards on all grinding machines
- Grind nonmetallic materials.
- Observe machine during operation.