Home Health Aide Job Description
Responsible for providing care for people confined to their homes due to being disabled, cognitively impaired, or chronically ill. Cares for elderly people who prefer to remain in their home as opposed to health facilities or institutions.
- Provide healthcare in someone's residence.
- Assist people in hospices and day programs.
- Go to same home or homes every day or months or even years.
- Work under direct supervision of a nurse.
- Keep records of services performed.
- Record and note clients' condition and progress.
- Report changes to case manager.
- Check patient's pulse rate, temperature, and respiration rate.
- Perform prescribed exercises and other physical therapy.
- Administer medications.
- Change dressings.
- Turn or ambulate patient.
- Provide skin care.
- Massage limbs.
- Assist with braces and artificial limbs.
- Assist with medical equipment.
- Ensure equipment is functioning properly.
- Replace batteries on equipment.
- Prepare food and feed patient.
- Provide counseling on diet and exercise.
- Implement behavior plans.
- Teach self-care skills.
- Perform light housekeeping.
- Provide patient with groceries.
- Pick up medication.
- Transport patient to doctors' office or hospital.