- Job Descriptions
- Janitor or Cleaner
Responsible for cleaning buildings, removing debris, and keeping areas neat and tidy. Vacuums and buffs floors, shampoos carpets, empties trash receptacles, and replace lining of trash cans.
- Sweep and mop floors.
- Clean buildings by emptying trash, sweeping, and cleaning surfaces.
- Clean and disinfect laboratory equipment.
- Sterilize patients' rooms.
- Monitor building security and safety by performing such tasks as locking doors after operating hours and checking electrical appliance use to ensure that hazards are not created.
- Steam-clean carpets.
- Use cleaning solutions to remove stains and clean surfaces.
- Mix various cleaning agents.
- Clean windows, glass partitions, and mirrors, using soapy water or other cleaners, sponges, and squeegees.
- Dust furniture and scrub surfaces clean.
- Apply wax to coat floors and buff.
- Apply sealant to floors.
- Clean and service restrooms with mops and disinfectants.
- Mow lawns, trim shrubbery, plant flowers, and apply pesticides.
- Move heavy equipment and furniture.
- Identify and report possible repairs.
- Fix minor plumbing leaks.
- Shovel snow from sidewalks and sprinkle salt on surface.
- Spray insecticides and fumigants to prevent insect and rodent infestation.