ADMISSIONS COUNSELOR / 40 HOURS / DAY / BWH INPATIENTS ACCOUNTS
This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 8/24/2016
END DATE 10/26/2016
Brigham & Women's Hospital(BWH)
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY GENERAL SUMMARY/OVERVIEW STATEMENT:
Under the direction of the Supervisor, the Admission Counselor is responsible for ensuring the timely, accurate processing of patient accounts, focusing on the up front activities. The Admission Counselor verifies and/or collects required data, assuring its accuracy and integrity. Reviews scheduled visits to determine financial requirements. Obtains appropriate preadmission approvals and precertifications, confirming that third party requirements are met, prior to visit. Identifies cases which might place the institution at financial risk and recommends delay or deferral of non-emergent cases until financial issues can be resolved. Maintains account from time of booking, until the bill is generated and is responsible for ensuring data quality, in order to expedite billing and reimbursement process and minimize financial risk to the institution.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
. Verifies and/or collects demographic and financial information on all scheduled visits. Enters/edits data on-line
as needed, ensuring its accuracy and integrity.
2. Contacts insurance companies, managed care plans and outside agencies to verify insurance coverage and
benefits. Determines if any pre-admission/pre-visit requirements exist.
3. Compiles and submits clinical information required to obtain preadmission approvals precertification. Monitors
pending cases to ensure that approvals are obtained prior to visit.
4. Advises uninsured and underinsured patients regarding available programs. Makes appropriate referrals to Patient Financial Services Department.
6. Recommends delay or deferral for non-emergent cases until financial issues can be resolved.
7. Reviews and follows-up on all emergency and unscreened admissions as soon as possible, but within 24 hours
at the latest, to identify and minimize financial risk to the institution.
8. Maintains patient confidentiality and privacy by accessing patient information only to the extent necessary to
fulfill assigned duties. All patient information must be kept private, confidential and secure. All lists, reports,
files and documents must always be properly secured and stored. Interviews and examinations should be
conducted in such a manner as to afford the patient reasonable audio and visual privacy.
9. Maintains effective working relationships and communicates regularly with Social Service, Care Coordination
and other departments to update and exchange pertinent account information.
10. Adheres to Customer Service Standards by demonstrating professionalism, alertness, helpfulness, and receptiveness to all patients, visitors and other staff members.
14. Employs discretion when leaving answering machine messages, or sending faxes.
15. Performs special projects as assigned.
1. Bachelors degree or equivalent preferred, high school diploma required.
Proven experience in like setting is acceptable in lieu of educational requirements.
2. 1-2 years experience in hospital billing and reimbursement.
1. Interpersonal relationship skills necessary to communicate effectively with patient/family, physicians and their
support staff, medical staff, nursing staff, other hospital personnel and many external organizations and
2. The technical knowledge of specific legal and regulatory requirements and an understanding of complex third party and medical assistance polices and procedures.
3. Knowledge of the hospital information system with emphasis on accounts receivables programs.
4. Ability to function independently and prioritize work within established policies.
5. Requires good judgment, tact, sensitivity and the ability to function in a stressful environment.
5. Ability to maintain confidentiality regarding the patients, their medical histories, demographic and fiscalinformation, etc.
Hectic office environment, noisy, fluctuating temperature and high volume activity.
Promote institutional financial stability based on throughput and data integrity.
Brigham and Womens Hospital is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, ancestry, age, veteran status, disability unrelated to job requirements, genetic information, military service, or other protected status.
Brigham and Womens Hospital I CARE Standards
The I CARE Standards guide me in my interactions with patients, family members, visitors, colleagues, and neighbors in my workplace and surrounding community to optimize the Brigham experience and help fulfill my role in our mission of providing seamless, high quality patient and family centered care.
C. I will Communicate my commitment to high quality performance
A. I will Appear and act as a professional
R. I will Respect all individuals
E. I will Extend myself