ADMITTING OFFICER / 20 HOURS / VARIABLE -ROTATION / BWH PATIENT ACCESS SERVICES 9/13/2016
Brigham & Women's Hospital(BWH)
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY GENERAL SUMMARY/OVERVIEW STATEMENT:
Under the direction of the Access Facilitator/Access Manager, the Admitting Officer/Interviewer is responsible for greeting and welcoming patients and their families at the time of admission, and coordinating the efficient and timely flow of patients and their families throughout the access process for the Brigham and Womens Hospital, including the Shapiro Cardiovascular Center and the Dana Farber Cancer Institute. Expedites an efficient process, and ensures that patients are escorted to, and arrive at the appropriate area in the appropriate building, at the appointed time. Provides exceptional customer service, and achieves and maintains high levels of patient, family, physician and customer satisfaction. Responsible for ordering departmental supplies and maintaining inventory par levels. Assigned/deployed to various posts within the department depending on need.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Greets and welcomes patients and their family members at the time of admission, doing everything possible to put then at ease, enters patient arrival details on the log.
2. Coordinates all aspects of the process including interview, testing, and ensures that the patient is escorted to the appropriate area in a timely, efficient manner.
3. Frequently updates patients who are waiting/delayed regarding their status, and takes measures to make them as comfortable as possible during their wait.
4. Responsible for ordering and organizing departmental supplies and ensuring that inventory par levels are maintained, within established budgetary constraints.
5. Conducts a detailed admission interview with patient/family in a timely, efficient and courteous manner, updates, obtains and/or verifies all pertinent data necessary to complete required admission, demographic and financial information, ensuring both timely access and accurate billing, registers family members for the Family Liaison Service, obtains and witnesses necessary consents, obtains admission deposits and ensures that appropriate receipts are issued, ensures that mandates are met for Advance Care Directives, Disparities data, and Medicare Important Notice, entering information on-line and adhering to compliance policies regarding documentation, arranges for medical record and routes to appropriate Nursing Unit.
6. Provides patient with pertinent information regarding hospital policies.
7. Refers patient with unresolved financial issues to Inpatient Accounts, when appropriate.
8. Collects and secures patient valuables in compliance with Patient Valuables Policy.
9. Assembles, collates and processes for mailing packets for all scheduled patients, in a timely fashion.
10. Maintains patient confidentiality and privacy by accessing patient information only to the extent necessary to fulfill assigned duties. Executes departmental policy in regards to HIPAA requirements. All patient information must be kept private, confidential and secure. All lists, reports, files and documents must always be properly secured and stored. Interviews and examinations should be conducted in such a manner as to afford the patient reasonable audio and visual privacy.
11. Adheres to all Customer Service Standards by demonstrating professionalism, alertness, helpfulness and receptiveness to all patients, visitors and other staff members.
12. Performs other related duties and special projects.
High school education with a minimum of 3-6 months experience in an office or health care setting.
1. Requires interpersonal relationship skills to effectively communicate with patients, their families, physicians and other support personnel.
2. Requires ability to type 50 WPM and the ability to learn to use a computer.
3. Requires good judgment, tact, sensitivity and the ability to function in a stressful environment.
4. Requires the ability to maintain confidentiality regarding patients, their medical histories, demographic information, etc.
5. Requires the ability to strictly adhere to Customer Service Standards.
Hectic office environment, noisy, fluctuating temperatures, and high volume of admissions.
Promotes institutional financial stability based on throughput and data integrity.
Brigham and Womens Hospital is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, ancestry, age, veteran status, disability unrelated to job requirements, genetic information, military service, or other protected status.
Brigham and Womens Hospital I CARE Standards
The I CARE Standards guide me in my interactions with patients, family members, visitors, colleagues, and neighbors in my workplace and surrounding community to optimize the Brigham experience and help fulfill my role in our mission of providing seamless, high quality patient and family centered care.
C. I will Communicate my commitment to high quality performance
A. I will Appear and act as a professional
R. I will Respect all individuals
E. I will Extend myself