AVP, Commercial Officer
This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 9/16/2016
END DATE 11/9/2016
JOB DESCRIPTIONFrom its humble beginnings over 100 years ago to its position of leadership in the insurance industry today, CNA continues to build on a long, proud tradition. Our history is a rich story of service, growth, financial strength and stability. For more than a century we have built strong relationships with business partners and customers creating a legacy of innovation and service. Today CNA is well positioned to compete and win in the commercial insurance marketplace.
Officer position responsible for providing the P & L for all Commercial lines of business and segments for the Chicago branch. Provides overall underwriting excellence through management and tactical implementation for multiple product lines or segments that have the highest level of complexity within a geographic territory. Ensures effective implementation of strategic objectives and policies, in accordance with the company's strategic plans. May support multiple branches. Operationalizes local strategies to support commercial lines profit and growth. Acts as underwriting benchstrength for product lines or segments.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
1. Drives the implementation of the enterprises strategic and operational objectives as well as creates and implements local strategies with significant impact on the short-term success of underwriting for multiple product lines or segments within the highest level of complexity of a geographic territory. Moderates the overall impact on the long-term success of the company.
2. Ensures the achievement of continued profitability, growth objectives and operational efficiencies for multiple product lines or segments by focusing on account and book-level expense management, pricing, retention and quality control. Works with alternate partners to monitor and recalibrate strategies.
3. Partners with Commercial Directors to delegate underwriting authority. Mentors, coaches and evaluates underwriters in local territory. Position maintains a high level of underwriting authority within geographic territory responsibility.
4. Oversees the account underwriting process, including referral underwriting and pricing policies in accordance with strategic direction. Oversees the account life cycle for insureds.
5. Partners with home office underwriting leadership, including business partners in Risk Control, Actuarial, Claim, Worldwide Operations and Compliance to ensure governance and compliance to underwriting practices including underwriting audits, setting expectations and enforcement of guidelines as well as ensuring workflows have been standardized and business is being processed most efficiently.
6. Consults with Zone Commercial Underwriting Officer or product line underwriting leadership to resolve technical issues within a product line or segment as well as allocates underwriting positions to those LOB/segments that will yield the most favorable financial results.
7. Maintains a strong market presence with agents, brokers and customers to assess risk tolerance, appetite, and emerging issues. Establishes cross-sell plans between Commercial Insurance and Specialty business and identifies local business opportunities.
8. Leads, directs and has full management accountability for staff in area of responsibility with an emphasis on talent management, succession planning and skill development in accordance with corporate strategic direction. Identifies potential skill gaps and recommends appropriate training for underwriting staff in assigned territory. Typically has one or more managers reporting in and has an overall group gross written premium minimum amount required.
May perform additional duties as assigned.
SVP, Zone Officer
Skills, Knowledge & Abilities
1. In-depth technical knowledge of underwriting theories and practices within the insurance field.
2. Ability to effectively interact and communicate with all levels of external and/or internal business partners within scope of responsibility, team and/or matrix environment.
3. Leadership and management skills, demonstrating integrity and professionalism.
4. Strong sales and marketing skills.
5. Ability to drive results by identifying, and resolving problems within scope of responsibility.
6. Ability to mentor and coach others for high performance.
7. Knowledge of the insurance industry, its products and services.
8. Knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite and other business-related software.
Education & Experience
1. Bachelor's degree with Master's preferred in a related discipline, or equivalent.
2. Typically a minimum of 10 years of related work experience, with five years management experience.
3. Chartered Property Casualty Underwriter (CPCU) designation preferred.
Primary Location: United States-Illinois-Chicago
Other Locations: United States-Illinois-Chicago
Organization: Field Ops North Zone
Job Posting: Sep 15, 2016
Unposting Date: Ongoing.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.