AVP Underwriting Manager
This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 9/10/2016
END DATE 3/19/2017
Cambridge Savings Bank
JOB DESCRIPTIONCambridge Savings Bank, headquartered in Harvard Square, and with 17 branches located throughout Eastern, MA, and 3.2 Billion in Assets, is dedicated to maintaining our strong financial position by providing our customers with a full range of individual and business banking services in a professional, personal way. We are equally dedicated to our employees providing a work environment built on respect, support, and teamwork. Cambridge Savings Bank offers a competitive salary and benefits package and friendly work environment with unique opportunities for growth and development.
AVP UNDERWRITING MANAGER
Under the direction of the FVP/Credit Manager, this position shall be the lead underwriter for the bank, this position being the most senior would be responsible for underwriting the most difficult/complex deals or work very closely with senior analysts who are assigned these credits. Additionally, this position is responsible for managing the underwriting pipeline, assigning work out to analysts within the department and providing a preliminary review of their work before it is sent to lenders.
Responsibilities include developing background information, analyzing financial and other information, and preparing loan packages for use in the commercial loan approval and review process. The AVP/UM assists other team members in a collaborative way with sharing best practices and institutional knowledge, especially for new team members. The AVP/UM is expected to share constructive thoughts with the FVP/Credit Manager and Chief Credit Officer in identifying areas for improvement and offering possible solutions.
Though this position may not have direct supervisory responsibilities, the AVP/UM leads by example to create a positive, cooperative and collaborative team environment in tone, general conduct and work ethic within the Credit Department in completing accurate, timely and high quality credit approval memos (write-ups), while meeting weekly internal deadlines and sharing updates as appropriate.
KEY RESULT AREAS:
* Work closely with lending officers and commercial lending group heads to prepare written credit analyses for new loan proposals and loan renewals. Identify strengths and weaknesses and potential exceptions to the CSB lending policy, and assure that the loan rating is an accurate representation of the risk inherent in the credit.
* Review new loan requests and provide initial credit analysis when appropriate.
* As required, review commercial credit files for completeness and proper organization, and working with lending officers, take corrective action as necessary.
* Assist the Chief Credit Officer and FVP/CM in underwriting and managing Watch List Loans as needed. Assist the FVP/CM in the development and evaluation the performance of the credit analyst staff. Assist the FVP/CM in determining specific training/educational needs for analysts on an ongoing basis. Evaluate programs, materials, and sources to satisfy those needs.
* Assist lending officers in preparing and updating credit file rating summaries.
* Participate in the maintenance of the accuracy of the Bank s commercial loan rating system in any manner deemed appropriate by the Chief Credit Officer and/or the Credit Manager.
* As required, monitor credit quality through the review of financial information such as interim statements, to provide early warning of possible deterioration.
* Perform credit investigations on borrowers when required by contacting suppliers and customers, obtaining bank references, and reviewing personal and business credit reports.
* Assist in the preparation of reports used in monitoring credit quality, as directed by the SVP/Chief Credit Officer and/or the FVP/Credit Manager.
* Attend joint client calls with lending officers, when appropriate; to better understand non-financial aspects of credits being analyzed.
* Assist lending officers in site inspections as required.
* Develop and maintain a familiarity with local real estate market conditions through the study of comparable sales provided in the appraisals obtained by the Bank.
* Remain informed of local and national economic, financial, political and legislative events and climates that could impact lending activities.
* Ensure that the Bank's guidelines, loan policies, and procedures are adhered to in approval of new and existing loans.
* Contribute to the effective team management of all Bank problems, issues, and opportunities.
* Establish and maintain professional and effective working relationships with other CSB employees and customers.
* Work with the FVP/CM and Credit Administration Manager as necessary to support regulatory reviews or audits or other bank initiatives as needed.
* Perform additional duties as required.
* College degree, preferably in business, finance, or accounting; or equivalent.
* Five years credit analysis experience, to include C&I and CRE experience (required).
* Proven ability to complete complex credit analyses and to write thorough, comprehensive loan summaries.
* Completion of a formal credit training program or suitable work experience.
* Solid understanding of financial accounting.
* Knowledge of commercial lending operations and regulations preferred.
* Strong analytical and computer skills.
* Strong communication, customer service and interpersonal skills.
* Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
The above description covers the major responsibilities but does not exclude other occasional responsibilities and accountabilities the inclusion of which would be in conformity with the major purpose of this job.
Harvard Square Cambridge, Massachusetts
Cambridge Savings Bank is an equal opportunity employer. EEO/D/V
Cambridge Savings Bank is committed to ensuring its application process provides an equal employment opportunity to all U.S. jobs seekers, including individuals with disabilities. If you believe you need a reasonable accommodation in order to search for a job opening or to submit an application, please contact Human Resources by calling 1-617-864-8700..