Accelerator Division Director - National Synchrotron Light Source II (NSLS-II)
This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 9/13/2016
END DATE 7/29/2017
Brookhaven National Laboratory
JOB DESCRIPTIONApply Now
ACCELERATOR DIVISION DIRECTOR - NATIONAL SYNCHROTRON LIGHT SOURCE II (NSLS-II)
JOB ID 804 DATE POSTED 09/13/2016
Brookhaven National Laboratory is a multipurpose research institution funded primarily by the U.S. Department of Energy s Office of Science. Located on the center of Long Island, New York, Brookhaven Lab brings world-class facilities and expertise to the most exciting and important questions in basic and applied science from the birth of our universe to the sustainable energy technology of tomorrow. We operate cutting-edge large-scale facilities for studies in physics, chemistry, biology, medicine, applied science, and a wide range of advanced technologies. The Laboratory's almost 3,000 scientists, engineers, and support staff are joined each year by more than 4,000 visiting researchers from around the world. Our award-winning history, including seven Nobel Prizes, stretches back to 1947, and we continue to unravel mysteries from the nanoscale to the cosmic scale, and everything in between. Brookhaven is operated and managed by Brookhaven Science Associates, which was founded by the Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University, and Battelle, a nonprofit applied science and technology organization.
The NSLS-II is a state-of-the-art 3 GeV electron storage ring and is on course to be the world s brightest source of synchrotron light. The NSLS-II will support the nation s scientific mission by providing the most advanced tools for discovery class science in condensed matter and materials physics, chemistry, and biology science that ultimately will enhance national and energy security and help drive abundant, safe, and clean energy technologies. NSLS-II will fuel major advances in materials that will enable new energy technologies such as nanocatalyst-based fuel cells; the widespread, economical use of solar energy; the use of high temperature superconductors in a high capacity and high reliability electric grid; advanced electrical storage systems for transportation and harnessing intermittent renewable energy sources; and the development of the next generation of nuclear power systems.
The facility offers scientific and industrial researchers an array of beamlines with x-ray, ultraviolet, and infrared light to enable discoveries in clean and affordable energy, high-temperature superconductivity, molecular electronics, and more.
We are currently seeking an experienced Division Director to provide leadership in managing and directing the efficient operation of the accelerator complex. The Division Director is a key member of the management team at NSLS-II and will report directly to the NSLS-II Facility Director.
Key responsibilities include:
* Development and reliable operation of the accelerator complex, including the Injection System, the Storage Ring System and insertion devices
* Development of scientific programs with the Division, including development of scientific portfolio for the division and a strategic vision for the facility
* Recruitment, oversight, and management of scientific, engineering, and technical staff of the Accelerator Division
* Management of the engineering and technical resources within the division to support activities for beamline construction and operations
* Serve on the executive management team for the facility
* Interact with other senior BNL management and DOE program officers
* Development of budgets and staffing plans, and managing to a budget within a given fiscal year
* Directing the development and approval of plans, schedules, costs, and milestones for R&D activities within the division
* Execution of his/her respective portion of the operations and projects safely and within the approved budget and schedule.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
* Ph.D. in Physics or a related discipline
* 20+ years of relevant scientific and technical experience which must include 10+ years of extensive managerial experience
* Proven record as a successful accelerator physicist/engineer and recognized in the accelerator community
* Significant experience in operations and demonstrated leadership skills
* Considerable technical and programmatic understanding of interface issues in a multifaceted complex accelerator facility environment, including the experimental user program
* Excellent communications and interpersonal skills and the ability to interact effectively with a diverse group of scientists, engineers, and technical staff, as well as with external stakeholders
* Comprehensive organizational skills and demonstrated success in roles requiring execution of multiple tasks while responding to multiple priorities.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
* Prior project management experience
* Experience working with accelerators at advanced light sources
* Proven ability to conduct high profile accelerator research
* Demonstrated understanding of synchrotron radiation sources and science.
At Brookhaven National Laboratory we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes but is not limited to:
* Medical Plans
* Dental Plans
* Life Insurance
* 401(k) Plan
* Retirement Plan
* Swimming Pool, Weight room Tennis Courts, and many other employee perks and benefits.
We invite you to consider Brookhaven National Laboratory for employment. To be considered for this position, please apply online at BNL Careers and enter the job title into the Keyword Search.
Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) is an equal opportunity employer committed to ensuring that all qualified applicants receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, status as a veteran, disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor Apply Now