Additive Manufacturing Research Scientist 8/26/2016
CFD Research Corporation
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY CFDRC is seeking a highly motivated individual with expertise in Additive Manufacturing techniques to support multiple space, aerospace and defense customers realize the benefits of transitioning to additive manufacturing processes. The candidate will work with internal specialists, partners and collaborators to apply multi-scale modeling, fabrication and testing & evaluation to design and optimize tools and processes for additive manufacturing. Ultimately, the position will help the customer developing an understanding of the performance specifications/capabilities of emerging additive manufacturing techniques and how it will impact overall system performance.
The ideal candidate will be a team-oriented individual with a strong background in materials science, mechanical engineering or a related area. The individual will work on a wide range of materials, such as metals, composites, alloys, and nanomaterials. Working closely with other specialists, the candidate will use continuum mechanics to guide atomistic simulations and generate parameters for continuum-atomistic links.
Specific responsibilities include:
* Interface with customers and collaborators to identify and resolve challenges for application of AM techniques to aerospace component fabrication
* Lead thermomechanical analysis of AM processes to improve as-built component tolerances, minimize residual stress, and optimize mechanical properties
* Collaborate with process and materials modeling specialists to develop and apply multi-scale modeling tools to analyze correlate process conditions to material properties, component manufacturability, and process repeatability
* Document technical activities and findings in project reports and peer-reviewed publications
* Contribute to future research through proposal preparation and by expanding existing technical capabilities
The ideal candidate should exhibit the following behavioral traits:
* Ability to work collaboratively with teammates, government and industry partners, and stakeholders
* Very strong written and verbal communication skills
* Strong technical problem-solving and analytical skills and ability to provide solutions to a wide range of difficult problems
* Advanced Degree in Mechanical Engineering or closely related STEM Discipline
* Strong background in fundamentals of strength of materials, structural analysis, heat transfer, thermodynamics, and phase transition is required.
* Strong background in numerical methods and applied math.
* Experience with continuum finite element analysis application, development and implementation.
* Experience with error analysis, and demonstrated ability in calculating confidence limits for simulations.
* Experience with applying and/or developing meshless methods (peridynamics, cohesive zone method, meshless particle method) and multiscale modeling strongly preferred.
* Experience with scripting (such as python) and programming (such as C++/C/Fortran) languages is desirable.
* Experience in using common commercial analysis codes (ABAQUS, ANSYS) is desirable.
* Excellent communication and organizational skills
* Desired candidate will be a US Citizen and meet elibility to obtain and maintain a Secret Clearance. Candidate must be at least a US Permanent Resident.