Under general supervision and direction from the Practice Manager, the Administrative Assistant will provide high quality customer service for Sports Medicine patients. The Admin Assistant will support all aspects of physician practice for clinical care management, including providing administrative support services to the Sports Medicine team, the Chief and Assistant Chief of Sports Medicine, Boston College personnel and the Practice Manager. Assisting with facilitating and scheduling patient appointments, including all surgical and ancillary tests, obtaining referrals, authorizations and pre-certifications as needed. In addition to analyzing office systems, work flow, referral pattern enhancement, this position involves responsibility for helping with the process enhancement of the Sports Medicine practice in all its activities. Requires discretion and judgment to organize priorities, complete tasks and handle confidential patient information.
Schedule all patients who require surgery, communicating and working with all involved parties. Recognizing the urgency and prioritizing appropriately on a case by case basis, collaborating with Central Scheduling, the OR, insurance companies, and following up when necessary to ensure the surgical case is booked in a timely manner.
Organize meetings, conferences and other clerical requirements for all support service functions within the department. Updates and manages clinic schedules, office on-call schedules and ER call schedule for all providers. Performs monthly calendar checks with Assistant Chief to ensure all schedules/calendars are in sync. Complete other special projects and administrative tasks which are assigned on a routine basis.
Manages and maintains a detailed record of all Boston College athletes and students who require services at Newton-Wellesley Hospital. Work closely with staff at Boston College to coordinate appropriate care, by ensuring patient is fully registered, has the appropriate insurance coverage and is scheduled to be seen within an appropriate timeframe.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS:
Clinical Practice Support:
* Schedule patient surgery using Epic system, which may requires the coordination of other services such as Anesthesiology. Optimize and balance procedure scheduling with time allotted
* Obtains insurance pre-authorizations and pre-certifications for tests and treatments.
* Provides reassurance to patients and families regarding treatment course and follow-up communication contact.
* Manage preparation of surgical cases: confirm pre-op testing, compile necessary paperwork, and confirm date and time of procedure.
* Works with the Admitting Department and International Office to coordinate appointments of self-pay and international patients. Requests financial quotes for pending inpatient or outpatient services and relates information to patients when necessary.
* Sends out confirmation/reminder letters in advance of appointments and surgeries.
* Answers patient/family questions regarding appointments, surgical procedures, and pre-operative instructions as appropriate.
* Reviews patient insurance and referrals in Epic when scheduling visits. Tracks referrals and ensures insurance information is obtained and verified prior to appointment.
* Manages multiple calendars and clinic schedules to ensure the physicians time is utilized as efficiently as possible and to ensure patient safety.
* Represents the department in communication and interactions with responsiveness and professionalism via telephone, email and in person
* Schedules and organizes all meetings for the Sports Medicine team, to include operations meetings, BC meetings etc. as directed by the Administrative Director, Operations Manager and Practice Manager
Manages and maintains a detailed record of all Boston College athletes and students who require services at Newton-Wellesley Hospital.
Work closely with staff at Boston College to coordinate appropriate care, by ensuring patient is fully registered, has the appropriate insurance coverage and is scheduled to be seen within an appropriate timeframe. * Coordinates appointments with interpreters, as necessary.
* Photocopies and files patient-related paperwork within clinically-defined medical records in an accurate and timely manner.
* Insures and protect patient confidentiality, works within HIPAA-compliant procedures.
* Monitors, stocks and maintains all office supplies, ordering additional supplies when needed and within the approved budget
* Sorts and delivers mail to appropriate personnel
* Assists with maintaining patient flow as needed
* Covers reception desk as needed, to include filling in during lunch breaks and late afternoon hours
* Manages high volume phone lines in a professional and courteous manner.
* Schedules patient office appointments, using Epic Cadence scheduling system.
* Orders/coordinates/obtains outside films, as well as any additional clinical information needed to insure efficiency and accuracy of consultations.
* Check-in patients in a courteous manner as they arrive to the office. Follow Front Desk operations including co pay collection, real time arrival, and payment processing as required.
* Checks-out patients as they exit office, schedules follow-up appointments, surgical procedures as appropriate.
* Completes other special projects and administrative tasks that are assigned on a routine basis.
Computer Application Requirements:
* Epic PPE (Patient Pre-operative Evaluation): Schedules pre-operative testing appointment for surgical patients.
* Epic Snapboard (Operating Room) system: Uses online OR booking system to electronically communicate with OR Scheduler and reserve prime time OR slots for surgical procedures.
* Book radiology appointments via Epic for a variety of imaging tests including standard x-ray, CT, MRI, ultrasound and nuclear medicine scans. Includes all imaging sites.
* Epic Work queue (Referral management and requests): Process and schedule patient appointments and/or assign request to another hospital service for appointments
* Microsoft Office applications: as necessary use Outlook, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint to support physician practice and academic presentations or work.
* Creates procedure and process manuals and/or tutorials.
* Maintains physicians meeting calendar, managing physicians academic appointments and academic/professional schedule.
* Promptly arranges meetings (including conference calls)
* Handles scheduling, travel arrangements, and reimbursements.
* Meet with the surgeon frequently to communicate surgical case updates and other relevant business
* Answers telephones, arranges for forwarding and removal of telephones to answering service, places/returns telephone calls for physician as requested.
* Performs photocopying, faxing, filing as requested.
* Order and track special purchase items
Teamwork and Collaboration:
* Cross-covers for other staff members for breaks, lunches, vacations, etc. and during variations in work flow as needed.
* Temporarily provides coverage and support to physicians during unexpected staff vacancies and new practice start-ups. May require simultaneously rendering support to multiple physicians.
* Communicates both internally and externally to efficiently provide follow-up appointments and referral to multidisciplinary practices.
* Communicates with physicians and physician assistants regarding patient flow issues and develops and implements improvement plans.
* Trains and orients new staff to ensure best practices and compliance with internal and NWH policies and procedures.
* Performs all other duties that are practice specific and are appropriate to this level of