Advanced Practice Registered Nurse - Adult Cardio Thoracic Surgery 8/31/2016
UT Southwestern Medical Center
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY Full/Part Time/PRN: Full-Time
This position is security-sensitive and subject to Texas Education Code 51.215, which authorizes UT Southwestern to obtain criminal history record information
EXPERIENCE AND EDUCATION
Master's degree in nursing or related field, documentation of completion of accredited Advanced Practice Education program, three (3) years general nursing experience, licensure as Registered Nurse by Board of Nurse Examiners for State of Texas, and a current Basic Life Support (BLS) certification course accredited by the
American Heart Association (AHA) are required.
Obtains and records complete medical history.
Performs physical exams according to departmental protocols.
Obtains and interprets laboratory tests according to departmental protocols.
Assesses patient database and identifies biopsychosocial needs.
Develops and implements patient management plans, following nursing processes and procedures identified in standing orders.
Recognizes deviations from normal in-body systems and refers to appropriate medical/social resources.
Initiates and manages preventative healthcare services.
Provides relevant counseling and education to patients and significant others within role limitations.
Facilitates teamwork through planned group processes, i.e. workshops, seminars, and staff meetings.
Duties performed may include one or more of the following core functions: a) Directly interacting with or caring for patients; b) Directly interacting with or caring for human-subjects research participants; c) Regularly maintaining, modifying, releasing or similarly affecting patient records (including patient financial records); or d) Regularly maintaining, modifying, releasing or similarly affecting human-subjects research records.
Performs other duties as assigned.
**Other Duties: Performs other duties as assigned.
Position will support the Thoracic Surgical In patient Service at Clements University Hospital and responsibilities will include:
* Participating in daily rounds, writing of inpatient notes, reviewing of X-rays and reports, and medication management.
* Ordering appropriate laboratory and diagnostic tests and reviews results.
* Assessing patients and writes notes per communicated standards (ICU and floor).
* Communication with the Transfer Nurse Team and Referring Entity; ensures a seamless and well communicated/informed transfer, as well as all needed records/tissues/images are transferred with the patient. Obtain all of the referring entities names to communicate with them after the transfer.
* Reviewing patient history and exams (H&P), consents and labs.
* Developing patient care plans and performs patient education as well as admitting and discharge planning and management.
* Patient management may include interpretation of blood gas, pulling of chest tubes, and ventilator changes.
* On OR days, visits families, enters OR to get updates and brings information to nursing staff and family. Receives patients from OR and writes post op orders, follows blood gasses and labs, manages patients. Performing new consults for the thoracic service.
* Coordinating and collaborate care with thoracic surgery residents/fellows as well as other services providing shared care of patients; Participating as a collaborative member of the healthcare team.
* Conducting follow-up communication on pre-op and post-op patients
* May provide assistance in the operating room.
* May be cross-trained to provide back-up coverage in the ambulatory clinic.
Acute Care Certification Required
To the extent provided by applicable law, no person shall be excluded from participation in, denied the benefits of, or be subject to discrimination under any program or activity sponsored or conducted by The University of Texas System or any of its component institutions, on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, veteran status, or disability..