Advanced Practice Registered Nurse - Adult Cardio Thoracic Surgery- Out Patient 8/31/2016
UT Southwestern University Medical Center
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY Full/Part Time/PRN: Full-Time
This position is security-sensitive and subject to Texas Education Code 51.215, which authorizes UT Southwestern to obtain criminal history record information
EXPERIENCE AND EDUCATION
Master's degree in nursing or related field, documentation of completion of accredited Advanced Practice Education program, three (3) years general nursing experience, licensure as Registered Nurse by Board of Nurse Examiners for State of Texas, and a current Basic Life Support (BLS) certification course accredited by the
American Heart Association (AHA) are required.
Obtains and records complete medical history.
Performs physical exams according to departmental protocols.
Obtains and interprets laboratory tests according to departmental protocols.
Assesses patient database and identifies biopsychosocial needs.
Develops and implements patient management plans, following nursing processes and procedures identified in standing orders.
Recognizes deviations from normal in-body systems and refers to appropriate medical/social resources.
Initiates and manages preventative healthcare services.
Provides relevant counseling and education to patients and significant others within role limitations.
Facilitates teamwork through planned group processes, i.e. workshops, seminars, and staff meetings.
Duties performed may include one or more of the following core functions: a) Directly interacting with or caring for patients; b) Directly interacting with or caring for human-subjects research participants; c) Regularly maintaining, modifying, releasing or similarly affecting patient records (including patient financial records); or d) Regularly maintaining, modifying, releasing or similarly affecting human-subjects research records.
Performs other duties as assigned.
**Other Duties: Performs other duties as assigned.
Position will support thoracic surgery ambulatory clinic and responsibilities will include:
* Ensuring effective management of clinic flow and that patients are seen in a timely and efficient manner.
* Reviewing patient records prior to clinic appointment to ensure all outside records and test results necessary for clinical decision-making are available. Makes calls to the referring entities, patients and/or their families to obtain further information to facilitate an efficient clinic visit.
* Ordering appropriate laboratory and diagnostic tests and reviews results. Follows up with ambulatory nurses to ensure correct orders are requested.
* Completes pre-surgical consultations such as history and physical exams (H&P), completing informed consent forms and obtaining patient signatures prior to surgery. Checking orders for accuracy, reviewing lab results and imaging results from patient pre-surgical testing. Reviewing patient chart for allergies, medications, co-morbidities.
* Providing comprehensive patient education, including but not limited to ensuring patient understanding of all scheduled procedures.
* Conducting follow-up communication on pre-op and post-op patients.
* Reviewing pre-op cases for the upcoming week after initial nurse review.
* May be cross-trained to provide back-up coverage in the hospital.
Acute Care Certification Required
To the extent provided by applicable law, no person shall be excluded from participation in, denied the benefits of, or be subject to discrimination under any program or activity sponsored or conducted by The University of Texas System or any of its component institutions, on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, veteran status, or disability..