Analyst - External Innovation
This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 9/13/2016
END DATE 11/29/2016
JOB DESCRIPTIONJOB DESCRIPTION
ANALYST - EXTERNAL INNOVATION
JOB ID 20162930 DATE POSTED 09/09/2016 Description
ABOUT THE POSITION:
Reporting to the Director, External Innovation theANALYSTWILL WORK CLOSELY WITH GROUP TECHNOLOGY AND THE US STRATEGY TEAMS, TO FACILITATE, LEAD AND COORDINATE THE DEVELOPMENT OF TECHNOLOGY-STRATEGY-INNOVATION KNOWLEDGE-BASED POSITIONS FOR THE US BUSINESS. THE SUCCESSFUL CANDIDATE WILL BECOME A TRUSTED PARTNER TO THE BUSINESS AND HIS/HER TECHNOLOGY/MARKET/BUSINESS INSIGHTS AND THOUGHT LEADERSHIP IN TECHNOLOGY, INNOVATION AND CORPORATE STRATEGY WILL BE WELCOME AND SOUGHT AFTER.
Position Responsibilities (including but not limited to):
* Leads the identification and evaluation of viable new energy technology solutions (e.g., products, chemistries, devices, business models):
* Partners with counterparts in US/UK Strategy and Group Technology to identify external technology innovation needs over a long-term horizon
* Leads the development and execution of tech scouting exercises/strategies/briefs/white papers in energy technology innovations mapped against near term core business needs as well as for the envisioned evolving energy ecosystem and utility of the future
* Assists in stage gated experimentation process to move external technology from ideation through venture
* Builds long-term relationships with external companies/suppliers/universities/federal laboratories that are likely to develop technology solutions in energy technology innovation areas of interest
* Establishes in-depth knowledge of the capabilities of energy technology companies and ventures
* Aligns key energy technology companies/ventures capabilities with needs of US/UK core business and market innovation opportunities
* Facilitates multi-level relationship development with key energy technology companies/ventures to set common objectives, identifies success criteria, and establishes milestones for mutual success for National Grid and technology company partners
* Promotes and sells external ideas/technologies to wide-range of internal stakeholders
* Serves as a key technology expert, partnering in collaborative external research/feasibility evaluations
* Transfers new technologies to core business with the objective of commercializing new technologies and applications quickly
* Conducts and/or leads the assessment of novel energy technologies/ solutions
* Documents findings from scouting activities and effectively shares with peers and facilitates future re-use (knowledge management).
KNOWLEDGE & EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
* Education: BS or MS, graduate degree in technology or business, multidisciplinary combination of both science and business preferred.
* Entrepreneurial skills with experience selling external ideas to a wide-range of internal stakeholders
* Tolerance for volatility, uncertainty, complexity and ambiguity in the introduction of new technologies, business models, ventures
* Open innovation skills, either as a practitioner at a company introducing open innovation or as a consultant helping multiple companies adopt open innovation
* Establishing new relationships and technology networks across a proven, broad base of external innovation resources
* Business development and/or energy technology valuation
* Marketing, financial, and business aspects of technology development
* Intellectual property issues and IP protection
* Product development processes, principles, and practices including the critical design and development phases of a project from discovery through delivery
* Approaches, tools, and techniques that promote the ability to transcend traditional ideas, rules, patterns, and relationships to create meaningful new ideas, forms, methods, and interpretations in a variety of business situations
* Effectively communicating and presenting technical complex data (both verbally and written) to influence all levels and global audiences
* Applying scientific research principles and practices, experimental design, and execution, and creating or locating, interpreting, and evaluating research findings
* Planning, organizing, monitoring, and controlling projects; ensuring efficient utilization of technical resources and appropriate mitigation of risk to achieve project objectives
* Processing, documenting, and providing timely information with a high level of accuracy in a usable format
* Continuously seeking and sharing new developments, advancements, and knowledge in relevant energy technology fields
* Familiarity with complex adaptive environments defining the problem, data collection, and iterative experimentation
* Understanding of portfolio of solutions approach to technology venture development
* Successful approaches, tools, and techniques for dealing with changes and adapting to a changing environment; adapting as needed to meet the requirements of the business
* High degree of emotional intelligence and excellent facilitation and influencing skills
* Thorough deep knowledge of the energy industry in general and energy technologies in particular
* Thought leader on emerging challenges in the US energy market so as to identify a range of energy technologies and their economic, regulatory and business trends impact on the industry and company.
* Institute and manage a market scanning and bench marking process in the energy technology area to gain strategy and technology trends and leading indicators across the industry and broader environment
* Support business development and M&A work streams by providing relevant technology/market/company insights related to energy storage and preliminary financial analysis for potential growth options
* Recognized mix of specialized energy technology experience and strategy/market development training
* Advanced strategic thinking and analytical skills required, understanding of corporate finance, strategic and business planning desired.
* Demonstrated ability to constructively influence decisions and collaboratively evolve the status quo, requiring situational adaptability to act as a leader, a facilitator and a participant.
* Experience and understanding of the US energy sector,regulatory/technology/business issues impacting the industry and future trends is highly desirable.The optimal candidate will have experience in energy technology and extensive business experience.
* Comfortable working in a matrix organization and effectively engaging with multiple stakeholders at various levels in the organization.
This position is one of National Grid s career path roles which provide for promotional opportunities within and across salary bands as you develop and evolve in the position by gaining experience, expertise and acquiring and applying technical skills.
NATIONAL GRID IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER THAT VALUES A BROAD DIVERSITY OF TALENT, KNOWLEDGE, EXPERIENCE AND EXPERTISE. WE FOSTER A CULTURE OF INCLUSION THAT DRIVES EMPLOYEE ENGAGEMENT TO DELIVER SUPERIOR PERFORMANCE TO THE COMMUNITIES WE SERVE. NATIONAL GRID IS PROUD TO BE AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EMPLOYER, COMMITTED TO PROVIDING EQUAL OPPORTUNITY TO EMPLOYEES AND APPLICANTS FOR EMPLOYMENT WITHOUT REGARD TO RACE, COLOR, RELIGION, CREED, NATIONAL ORIGIN, ANCESTRY, ALIENAGE OR CITIZENSHIP STATUS, GENDER, SEXUAL ORIENTATION, GENDER IDENTITY OR EXPRESSION, AGE, PHYSICAL AND MENTAL DISABILITY, MARITAL STATUS, VETERAN STATUS, PREDISPOSING GENETIC CHARACTERISTICS, OR ANY OTHER FACTOR PROTECTED FROM DISCRIMINATION UNDER MUNICIPAL, STATE, OR FEDERAL LAW. WE ENCOURAGE ALL INTERESTED, QUALIFIED PERSONS TO JOIN THE NATIONAL GRID TEAM
:Sep 9, 2016, 4:45:31 PM