Anesthesiology Technician -23057
This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 8/24/2016
END DATE 10/22/2016
West Virginia University Hospital
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY Job Description
Anesthesiology Technician (23057)
Manager, Perioperative Services
* High school graduate and at least 2 years experiences as an Anesthesia Technician, Licensed Practical Nurse, paramedic, EMT, or related medical field, or a graduate of an approved school of Anesthesia Technology.
* No known history of malignant hyperthermia (may not be waived).
* Obtain certification in Basic Life Support within 30 days of hire date.
Work requires knowledge of anesthesia practices as well as the daily organization of equipment and supply environments used in patient care according to departmental and regulatory standards.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
1.0 Work closely with clinical staff and anesthesia aides to provide anesthesia support services care.
* Provides patient care in a safe and appropriate manner.
* Understands and practices the principles of aseptic technique. Appropriately disinfects laryngoscope blades and LMAs. Ensures proper disposal of one-time use items.
* Interacts appropriately with patients and staff.
* Assesses monitoring requirements of patients being transferred from critical care units to the OR.
* Has a thorough understanding of hemodynamic techniques and provides assistance as needed.
* Operates blood recovery system as requested.
* Assists with line placement by aiding inserter. Draws samples from arterial line.
* Serves as a role model by facilitating a team approach to patient care.
* Checks for expiration dates on anesthetic agents and supplies.
* Cleans up a hazardous spill ensuring MSDS sheets are followed.
* Notifies departmental charge nurse and Facilities.
2.0 Provides patient care during procedures
* Ensures basic anesthesia equipment is available in each anesthetic location including emergency airway equipment (i.e. ambu bags, working blades, etc.). Assists with intubations.
* Assists with positioning of patients.
* Assists anesthesia providers with procedures by assessing supplies, instruments, and lines.
* Ensures malignant hyperthermia pack is in assigned location.
* Sets up and assists with all therapeutic pain management applications (Bretylium Blocks, Bier Blocks, Stellate Ganglion Blocks, Epidural Blocks, Intercostal Blocks, Trigger Point Blocks, Etc.).
* Sets up and assists with the administration of anesthesia in other areas. Sets up suction devices. Sets up anesthesia machine (i.e., tanks, recording paper, breathing circuit).
* Provides Anesthesia support during all emergency situations (difficult intubation, latex allergy patient episodes, cardiac crisis, malignant hypothermia, etc.) and routine case turnover including anesthesia post case cleaning. At end of day terminally cleans and dusts anesthesia equipment and prepares for next day use.
* Assists with connection of the proper monitoring equipment for patients after the surgical procedure.
* Anticipates anesthesia requirements for the majority of procedures and has equipment set up without requests from the MD/CRNA.
* Sets up IVs, fluid warmers, and pressure transducers. Tests equipment for functionality and acquires computer pumps. Serves as technological expert for external pacing systems.
3.0 Maintains anesthesia equipment and the associated consumable supplies.
* Monitors the inventory of consumable supplies. Ensures that the anesthesia carts are stocked and the anesthesia area is clean and uncluttered. Reprocesses reusable supplies.
* Orders equipment supplies as needed. Maintains usage data. Assembles anesthesia kits.
* Calibrates anesthesia equipment to ensure proper performance and patient safety. Drains and reconnects hoses. Checks and changes soda sorb and tubings. Ensures the rotation of stock and the proper storage of electrical equipment.
* Keeps equipment clean, neatly arranged, ready for use and in its proper location. Conducts hospital rounds to retrieve equipment. Labels divisional anesthesia equipment.
* Informs appropriate persons of equipment issues and potential problems. Recognizes need for repair and initiates repair actions. Maintains an equipment repair log.
* Assists in evaluating the status and the condition of anesthesia equipment. Checks the availability of emergency ambu bags. Checks gas volumes of portable tanks and ensures tank wrench is located on each anesthesia machine.
* Maintains an anesthesia equipment loaner book.
* Maintains transport trams and cables.
* Cleans non-disposable supplies.
4.0 Stocks IV bins and utilizes anesthesia exchange carts to stock anesthesia blue bells.
* Assists with installation of anesthesia equipment as needed.
* Has a thorough understanding of equipment and its operations. Is able to troubleshoot all department equipment.
5.0 Performs tasks that contribute to the effective operation of the department.
* Assists with the duties of other anesthesia staff as needed.
* Assumes responsibility for answering anesthesia pages during workday.
* Provides information for budget preparation regarding needed equipment and supplies.
* Provides input on cost-initiatives and facilitates those components relative to the Department of Anesthesia.
6.0 Provides technical support during surgery.
* Selects, calibrates, and prepares electronic and technical instruments according to patient needs.
* Assists anesthesiologist as defined in their practice, with therapeutic and diagnostic procedures.
* Has a thorough understanding of cardiac monitor procedures and equipment.
Unlicensed assistive personnel (UAP) may have limited access to medications including during transport of non-controlled substances at the request of a licensed care provider.
PERFORMANCE STANDARD : Adheres to the established Performance Expectations for WVUH Employees in the areas of People, Service, Performance Improvement, Shared Values & Culture.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS : The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
* Ability to wear and work in protective gear
* Ability to follow directions, both written and verbal, and work with people
* Capable of prolonged periods of standing and walking
* Ability to lift up to 40 pounds and push/pull heavy loaded carts
* Possess visual and oral acuity along with manual dexterity and technical ability.
WORK ENVIRONMENT : The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.