This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 9/18/2016
END DATE 10/14/2016
United Parcel Service, Inc
JOB DESCRIPTIONApplications Developer
Are you looking to launch your Information Technology career? If so, then UPS is the place for you!
UPS is now recognized as a technology company spending more than $1 billion a year on information technology. UPS provides its customers unparalleled capability in tracking and distribution intelligence. This technological infrastructure also enables UPS to provide fully integrated Web-enabled, business-to-business solutions.
UPS Information Services, a leader in information technology, is currently seeking career-minded individuals to join our team. If you are highly motivated with a degree in Computer Science or related discipline, then UPS is a great place for you to advance your career.
The Applications Developer performs duties and tasks to support full systems life cycle management (e.g., analyses, technical requirements, design, coding, testing, implementation of systems and applications software, etc.). He/She performs tasks within planned durations and established deadlines. This position collaborates with teams to ensure effective communication and to support the achievement of objectives. He/She provides development, maintenance, and support for applications.
Assists with I.S. Projects
* Conducts systems and requirements analyses to identify project action items.
* Contributes to task lists and cost and time estimates to support project plan development.
* Performs assigned functions and tasks to meet project plan and quality review requirements.
* Records, updates, and monitors assignment deviations to ensure effective resolutions.
* Raises issues as appropriate to support effective resolutions.
* Monitors assignments to ensure I.S. governance, standards, and policies compliance.
Assists in System Analysis and Design
* Analyzes specifications and user requirements to perform assigned applications development work.
* Assists with system components designs to meet requirements.
* Participates in design reviews to improve quality.
* Participates in product evaluations to assist in determining product usefulness and fit.
* Participates in the creation and review of interface agreements to ensure proper transfer of information between systems.
Designs and Develops Low to Moderately Complex Applications
* Analyzes, designs, codes, tests, and documents low to moderately complex programs to develop application software.
* Develops unit test plans to deliver quality components.
* Records and updates defects log to ensure thorough and accurate documentation.
* Assists in software implementations to contribute to the software build process.
* Performs testing and fixes of small components to ensure compliance with functional requirements.
* Participates in applications peer reviews to improve code quality.
Generates Application Documentation
* Creates technical documentation to communicate and update project teams and stakeholders.
* Communicates and documents unit test results and code revisions to ensure consistency and accuracy.
* Creates technical documentation in compliance with UPS Software Development Lifecycle to ensure proper and consistent application development.
* Documents test plans to ensure expected outcomes.
Supports Integration Builds
* Assists with software builds to meet application needs.
* Conducts tests to diagnose and record failures and report results.
* Escalates integration issues to resolve system discrepancies.
Assists in Maintenance and Support
* Executes procedures to monitor systems performance and integrity.
* Performs applications maintenance and support functions to support problem resolution.
* Records and updates defect logs to monitor system reliability.
Primary Skill: Application development experience with knowledge of SQL programming, BI Reporting Tools and ETL technologies
Additional Skills: Exposure to statistical methods, models and languages (e.g. R, Python etc.) highly desirable
The desired Applications Developer will possess a degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, Mathematics, Statistics or related field or the equivalent in education and work experience. A degree is preferred. UPS is an equal opportunity employer race/color/religion/sex/national origin/veteran/disability/sexual orientation/gender identity