Assistant Audit Manager
New York City Department of Health and Mental Hygiene New York City Department of Health and Mental Hygiene
Long Island City, NY
- Job Type
- Job Classification
- Company Ref #
- AJE Ref #
- Number of Positions
While continuing to strengthen internal independent assessments and advisory role, Audit Services is broadening its risk based perspective and skills to further preserve and create value to the Department. In this regard, supervised by the Audit Manager, the candidate will participate in the monitoring of delegate agency audits performed by CPAs, performance of internal audits of the Department of Health and Mental Hygiene's processes, coordinate external audits and perform special projects.
The selected candidate will:
* Develop a risk-based audit plan of delegate agencies, and participate in procuring CPAs for audits.
* Review audit work papers and draft reports; prepare final drafts of reports for the Audit Manager's review.
* Assign and review work of staff; instruct, counsel and evaluate staff's performance.
* Elevate emerging issues and communicate to Audit management on a timely basis.
* Conduct internal reviews of Department programs and related activities, taking appropriate steps to improve programs control effectiveness.
* Maintain on going and open communication with Department programs on internal control issues and implementation of corrective actions.
* Assist Audit Management in the coordination of external audits conducted by federal, state and local oversight entities.
* Assist Audit Services management in communicating findings to the programs.
* Research and stay up -to-date on current audit concepts and methods.
* Assist in special projects and assignments, as needed.
Minimum Qual Requirements
1. A baccalaureate degree from an accredited college or university, accredited by regional, national, professional or specialized agencies recognized as accrediting bodies by the U.S. Secretary of Education and by the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA) including or supplemented by 24 semester credits in accounting, including one course each in: advanced accounting, auditing, and cost accounting; and one of the following:
(A) one year of full-time satisfactory experience in management auditing, financial auditing, and/or information technology (IT) auditing; or
(B) a valid Certified Public Accountant license issued by the New York State Education Department; or
(C) a valid Certified Internal Auditor certificate issued by the Institute of Internal Auditors (IIA); or
2. A satisfactory combination of education and/or experience equivalent to "1" above. Education and/or experience may be substituted as follows:
(A) two years of full-time satisfactory experience in financial or managerial accounting may be substituted for the one year of experience described in "1(A)" above;
(B) undergraduate or graduate credits from an accredited college or university, accredited by regional, national, professional or specialized agencies recognized as accrediting bodies by the U.S. Secretary of Education and by the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA) in management, computer science, public administration, and/or business administration may be substituted for up to 9 semester credits in accounting, on a credit for credit basis.
However, all candidates must have a baccalaureate degree including or supplemented by 15 semester credits in accounting, including one course each in advanced accounting, auditing, and cost accounting, and one of the following: at least one year of the experience described in "1(A)" above or its equivalent; or a Certified Public Accountant license; or a Certified Internal Auditor certificate, as described in "1(B)" or "1(C)" above.
To be eligible for placement in Assignment Level II individuals must have, in addition to meeting the minimum requirements, at least one year of experience as a Management Auditor - Assignment I or at least two years of experience in management auditing, financial auditing, and/or information technology (IT) auditing.
4-6 years of internal audit experience or 2-3 years of public accounting experience preferable; highly organized, motivated and self-directed professional; excellent oral, written and communications skills; ability to work independently when given specific instructions; excellent interpersonal and relationship building skills; ability to adapt to change quickly and follow directions; capable of handling multiple projects at the same time and meet deadlines; demonstrate flexibility in responding to changes in assignment and job responsibility, Microsoft Excel advanced knowledge.
Apply online with a cover letter to https://a127-jobs.nyc.gov/. In the Job ID search bar, enter: job ID number # 201883.
We appreciate the interest and thank all applicants who apply, but only those candidates under consideration will be contacted.
42-09 28th Street, Queens, NY, 11101
New York City residency is generally required within 90 days of appointment. However, City Employees in certain titles who have worked for the City for 2 continuous years may also be eligible to reside in Nassau, Suffolk, Putnam, Westchester, Rockland, or Orange County. To determine if the residency requirement applies to you, please discuss with the agency representative at the time of interview.