Assistant Director, Housing 9/3/2016
The University of Chicago
Campus - Hyde Park, IL
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY - Managing the Residential Properties (RP) department tasked with operating the University's faculty, staff and graduate student housing in the Hyde Park-Kenwood neighborhood. Providing organizational, fiscal, and strategic direction for the team of property managers, leasing professionals, on-site janitors, and support personnel responsible for all aspects of leasing, building management and customer relations.
- Managing Campus Buildings and undergraduate Residence Hall and Dining portfolio through a team. Plan, procure and manage property services, renovations, remodeling, and rehabilitation projects for common spaces, room turnover and short-term room use activities. Oversee and participate in regular site and room inspections. Provide work order oversight and coordination for tasks assigned to other units and assist with prioritizing and escalating for completion as needed. Provide functional area oversight as assigned (residence hall engineering, emergency response, sustainability, pest management, etc.). Assist with developing and implementing building and service standards, maintenance programs, sustainability initiatives, and upgrade plans per approved programs. Create and manage service agreements to ensure clarity in what and how services are provided and what is considered a basic service versus an additional cost.
- Create an office-wide commitment to providing best-practice level of customer service to residents that result in sustained superior performance. Establish weekly customer service reporting standards and serve as escalation point for high-priority complaints or problems.
- Standardize and enforce building management policies and procedures. Serve as subject matter expert on City of Chicago building codes and Residential Landlord Tenant Ordinance to establish and educate team on required management and leasing practices.
- Supervise, support, and manage the waiting list, assigning units, renewing leases, updating market rent, and resolving leasing compliance issues. Provide interface with University deans for escalation of resident life issues and for introduction of improved policies or procedures.
- Provide commercial leasing documentation and best leasing practices for south campus buildings.
- Procure rental market information annually. Define leasing and operational strategy for portfolio. Recommend lease and/or policy changes to support the strategy and to fulfill the mission of Residential Properties.
- Establish and maintain best practices for annual and turnover inspections. Oversee periodic inspections for building quality control, pre-move-in inspections, pre-vacancy inspections, and occupied unit inspections.
- Provide technical oversight, training, and mentoring to Property and Facilities Managers on managing routine renovation projects, and overseeing capital-type. Work in collaboration with the Construction and Maintenance staff, Facilities Services (FS), and external project managers as assigned.
- Supervise and support team in planning, procuring, and managing facilities services, including: managing maintenance staff; preparing budgets; monitoring income and expenses; conducting regular site inspections; approving and monitoring leases; responding promptly to tenant and client inquiries and requests for service; and other related functions.
- May participate in union negotiation(s) and actions for custodial, maintenance, and office staff. Mentor and supervise staff by implementing procedures to support union requirements.
- Ensure that all staff are accomplished users of the various facilities management software and assist in developing new and improved capacities for the system.
- Serve as the 2nd responder for all on-call managers and is therefore on call 24/7; also serve as the escalation point of contact for building-wide.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gen