Assistant Director - PDS 9/6/2016
City of Houston, Public Works and Engineering
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY PN# 16721
* Actively promotes collaborative decision making with various divisions and departments within the City of Houston;
* Develops and implements new processes, systems, and technologies to improve and simplify the approval process;
* Resolves problems and conflicts that surface during the approval process among applicants, staff, and other City departments;
* May interact with elected officials regarding major development projects and the application of City codes and ordinances;
* Champions the department customer service culture and guides the section toward a customer first orientation;
* Directs the development and administration of the section budget;
* Ensures section compliance with all applicable codes, laws, rules, regulations, standards, policies and procedures: ensures adherence to established safety procedures.
* Oversees selection, hiring, and development of staff providing core services;
* Oversees selection and management of contractors providing professional services;
* Uses data and reports to identify trends, validate business processes, identify improvement opportunities, and audit performance.
* Maintains a comprehensive, current knowledge of applicable codes, ordinances, and standards;
Other duties as assigned.
This position is physically comfortable; the individual has some discretion about standing, walking, etc.
THIS IS A DEPARTMENT OF PUBLIC WORKS & ENGINEERING EMERGENCY MANAGEMENT POSITION AT THE TIER I LEVEL.
MINIMUM EDUCATIONAL REQUIREMENTS
Requires a Bachelor's Degree in Business Administration, Public Administration, or closely related field.
MINIMUM EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
7 years of experience is required with at least three of those years in a managerial capacity.
A Master's degree may be substituted for 2 years of experience.
MINIMUM LICENSE REQUIREMENTS
A valid driver's license and compliance with the City of Houston policy on driving are also required.
Applicants with recent leadership experience in a similar capacity in the Greater Houston area are encouraged to apply. Preference may be given to candidates with a lean six-sigma black belt certification.
_**PREFERENCE SHALL BE GIVEN TO ELIGIBLE VETERAN APPLICANTS PROVIDED SUCH PERSONS POSSESS THE QUALIFICATIONS NECESSARY FOR COMPETENT DISCHARGE OF THE DUTIES INVOLVED IN THE POSITION APPLIED FOR, SUCH PERSONS ARE AMONG THE MOST QUALIFIED CANDIDATES FOR THE POSITION, AND ALL OTHER FACTORS IN ACCORDANCE WITH EXECUTIVE ORDER 1-6.**_
SELECTION/SKILLS TESTS REQUIRED: None
However, the Department may administer a skill assessment evaluation.
SAFETY IMPACT POSITION: Yes
If yes, this position is subject to random drug testing and if a promotional position, candidate must pass an assignment drug test.
Factors used in determining the salary offered include the candidate's qualifications as well as the pay rates of other employees in this classification.
Pay Grade 32