Assistant General Counsel - Global Trade
This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 8/23/2016
END DATE 12/19/2016
JOB DESCRIPTIONClient is seeking an attorney to support its Global Trade businesses, which are part of the Treasury and Trade Solutions business within company Institutional Client Group. The attorney will advise business units regarding various aspects of trade related transactions and documentation and with regard to potential transaction structures and issues. The attorney will also be responsible for reviewing, drafting and negotiating the documentation associated with those transactions. The attorney will be expected to be familiar with laws and customary practices applicable to the relevant businesses, including the Uniform Commercial Code and ICC Governing Rules (ISP 98 and UCP in particular).
* Primary responsibilities will include reviewing, drafting and negotiating standard and transaction specific documentation for the consummation of a broad range of global trade related transactions, including bilateral and syndicated trade loan facilities, accounts receivable financing, import/export financing, draft discounting, letter of credit transactions, financial asset sales and participation's, commodities finance, and trade service transactions. Responsibilities will also include providing advice regarding New York law to company internal counsel and business units located both within and outside the US, negotiation with and instruction of external legal counsel and clients where necessary and acting as liaison between external advisers and the business units, advising on legal and regulatory developments relevant to Trade, advising the business on bank policy matters, and co-ordinating multi-jurisdictional transactions with EMEA and Asia Legal.
* Candidates must have excellent interpersonal and communication skills given that the attorney will have extensive interaction with the business units, GCO colleagues both in the US and abroad, company control functions, company clients and external legal counsel.
* The successful candidate will be part of the Treasury and Trade Solutions Legal Department within the GCO. The position reports to the Head of Trade Legal for North America, who is based in New York.
* Bachelors and Law Degrees; Bar admission in any state required, Florida Bar preferred.
* 5+ years of secured lending/finance transactional practice at a major law firm and/or financial institution
* Experience with global trade related transactions and trade finance products
* Experience with cross border transactions and corresponding legal implications
* Excellent written and verbal communication skills
* Strong familiarity with the Uniform Commercial Code and ICC Governing Rules, including ISP 98 and UCP
* Strong analytical and problem solving abilities and organizational skills
* Team player with ability to work independently
* High attention to detail
* Highly organized and able to quickly assess project viability
* Effective and enthusiastic team player
* Appreciation of commercial environment between Bank and customer
* Ability to manage an active work load and prioritize effectively
* Ability to work effectively with all levels of the organization (from the most junior to the most senior)