Assistant Lab Manager
This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 8/9/2016
END DATE 11/8/2016
Massachusetts General Hospital(MGH)
JOB DESCRIPTIONEMPLOYING HOSPITAL AND DEPARTMENT:
Massachusetts General Hospital, Ragon Institute of MGH, MIT, and Harvard
MINIMUM DEGREE AND FIELD OF KNOWLEDGE: MSc preferred, BS/BA in scientific discipline required
YEARS EXPERIENCE MANAGING LAB REQUIRED: minimum of 5 years experience
A position is open to assist the Senior Laboratory Manager in the efficient operations of 3 laboratory floors at the Ragon Institute. Administer and coordinate the technological activities of a scientific and research group in relation to the operation of specialized laboratories. Acts as an advisor to subordinates to meet schedules and /or resolve technical problems. The Institute has a large operational laboratory space with 12 Tissue Culture labs and large bench space. Act as primary liaison to report lab space issues to Facility Manager, technical supervision for general equipment and repair. Assistant Lab manager will be responsible for allocation of all general lab cold storage, will attend monthly meetings with other lab managers/representatives, there are a wide variety of duties and issues that arise within the laboratory and this position will be the contact person for all such correspondence.
* General oversight of floor duties assigned to technicians
* Tissue Culture Room management
* Molecular Lab Space management
* Pre-PCR Room
* Gel Electrophoresis
* PCR machines
* Supply/inventory/ordering/stocking-organization on each floor and logistics
* Contact persons for vendors and working on the best quotes for the whole Institute
* Freezer space/operations (-80, LN, environmental rooms)
* Autoclave functioning and maintenance and proper training of incoming staff
* Overseeing safety adherence and obedience
* Ragon Institute Peptide Core management
* Monthly contact with PI on each floor to establish general spending limits
* General floor orientation/TC room access
* Daily lab inspections for adherence to safety protocols
* Implement laboratory lab polices and procedures. Maintain and update regularly Ragon SOP on the intranet
* Manage and coordinate operational policies and procedures, coordinate with research staff on issues which impact laboratory services
* Upkeep of all emergency contact/equipment contact lists
* Plan and conduct meetings with subordinates to ensure compliance with established practices, to implement new policies and to keep employee abreast of current practice and standards
* Assure that all workers are properly trained in laboratory practice and operating equipment. Keep well maintained log of training.
* Managing laboratory inventory, establishing preventative maintenance schedule for equipment, overseeing computerized records system
* New employee laboratory orientation on each floor
* PAGER DUTY operation (planning, scheduling, posting)
* Organizing and planning FBS and IL-2 testing for the whole Institute
* Liaise with EH&E for pertinent chemical, biosafety, waste disposal and fire safety oversight
* In conjunction with Operations Manager, coordinate any on-site vendor/service/repair needs
* Bachelors degree in scientific discipline. Master degree or above preferred
* Minimum of 5 years of directly related or progressively more responsible experience. Experience must include working in the Tissue Culture or on the bench.
* Must be able to multi-task proficiently
* Good organizational skills and excellent attention to detail
* Excellent documentation skills
* Must have good interpersonal skills and ability to perform as a team member
* Some occasional weekend or evening flexibility may be required
Massachusetts General Hospital is an Equal Opportunity Employer. By embracing diverse skills, perspectives and ideas, we choose to lead. Applications from protected veterans and individuals with disabilities are strongly encouraged.