Assistant Plant Manager
This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 8/10/2016
END DATE 12/1/2016
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY MORE INFORMATION ABOUT THIS JOB:
This position is responsible for assisting the Plant Manager in planning, leading, guiding, directing, and managing a small or single business unit site consistent with policies and procedures of Smithfield as well as with Federal, state and local law. Accountable for the high quality of all products produced, the profitability of the facility, the safety of employees, security of the facility, budget planning, management and control, human resource utilization and treatment, and the development of a total employee team. Indirectly responsible that plant labor, raw material, yields; supplies, waste and human resources are managed in the most effective manner, resulting in a positive contribution to the bottom line of the company P & L.
Smithfield is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action (EEO/AA) Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with disability, or any other protected group status or non-job related characteristic as directed by law.
1.25% Training - Train, manage, and direct all support staff activities to include HR/Safety, Food Safety/QA, Accounting, maintenance and production supervision. Enable plant to ensure all aspects of the operation are consistent, and operate within the Smithfield standards. Facilitate a profitable operation that produces safe quality products efficiently.
2.20% Yield & Labor - Establish achievable goals and follow up all progress positive or negative. Train supervisors to recognize opportunities and realize their impact on the operation. Track progress of yields, labor, and all related expenses. Identify opportunities and implement solutions.
3.20% Safety & Quality - Ensure efficient and profitable operation by conformation to specifications and procedures.
4.20% Employee Relations - ensure approachability and support to all levels of employees. Ensure management and hourly interaction remains contributable to a positive and effective team. Maintain accurate and open communication at all times.
5.15% Budget Establish accurate fixed and capital budgets for annual planning purposes. Work to ensure operation is functioning to cost and budget so all aspects of the operation contribute to the total P & L.
* Bachelor s degree from a four-year college or university in Agriculture, Animal Science, Business or related field and 5-8 years experience in plant management; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
* Strong critical thinking and problem solving skills.
* Capable of communicating and expressing ideas clearly and concisely, in both written and oral formats.
* High level of written and oral communication skills, organizational planning, teamwork, analytical reasoning, and adaptability.
* Knowledge of Microsoft spreadsheets, Word processing, the Internet, Sales software and UNIX applications (SAP).
* Have sufficient knowledge of different pork products.
* Manufacturing knowledge and understanding of yields, plant efficiencies, and operations procedures.
* Knowledge of OSHA Standards and USDA /HACCP regulations.
* Bi-lingual preferred.
* Ability to work in a diverse workforce.
* Must be able to travel 5% of the time.
* Assist the Plant Manager in having responsibility for the overall direction, coordination, and evaluation of the specified plant, which includes all managers, supervisors, office workers, and 500+ production employees.
* Carries out managerial/supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws.
* Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
* Occasionally lift and/or move up to 100 pounds.
* Frequently exposed to wet and/or humid conditions; moving mechanical parts; outside weather conditions; extreme cold and vibration.
* Noise level in the work environment is usually loud.