Assistant Professor 8/16/2016
University of Arkansas
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY SUMMARY OF JOB DUTIES
Description: The School of Human Environmental Sciences at the University of Arkansas is seeking a qualified candidate for a tenure-track position at the Assistant Professor level in the area of Human Development and Family Sciences. The responsibilities of this 9-month tenure-line position include research, undergraduate and graduate teaching and advising, and service to the university at multiple levels and profession. The successful candidate will develop a high-impact nationally and internationally recognized research program in family studies. Ideally, the successful candidate will have a program of research on family processes across dimensions of diversity such as race, ethnicity, geography, military service, sexual preference, gender-identity, or other sub-populations. The successful candidate will have a record that demonstrates competence in family research methods and analysis. Preference will be given to junior scholars with a promising trajectory as indicated by a record of research activity and peer-reviewed publications. A successful candidate will be able to secure extramural funding for research. This position is part of ongoing efforts contribute to the university goal of becoming a top 50 public research university.
Responsibilities: Build a program of nationally recognized research, consistent with the land-grant philosophy and the commitment to scholarly excellence in the field of human development and family sciences. Faculty are expected to work in an inclusive and responsive manner within the vision of excellence in research, teaching, and service central to the school, college, and university. The candidate would have the following specific responsibilities:
* Pursue a program of research that significantly and meaningfully examines family processes across dimensions of diversity
* Build and sustain a vibrant program of scholarship as evidenced by peer-reviewed publications, presentations, extramural funding, and interdisciplinary research collaborations within the UA system and/or with external institutions
* Acquire funding primarily from federal granting agencies to support a program of research
* Teach, mentor, and advise undergraduate and graduate students
Regular, reliable, and non-disruptive attendance is an essential job duty, as is the ability to create and maintain collegial, harmonious working relationships with others.
Please ensure that all relevant application materials include details addressing the minimum qualifications. Applicants not meeting the minimum qualifications will be disqualified from consideration.
* An earned doctorate (doctoral degree must be completed prior to start date) in human development, family studies, sociology, family or community psychology, public health, or a closely related field
* A record of scholarly publications
* Strong potential to be successful in acquiring external funding
* A strong commitment to outstanding teaching, research, and collaboration
* Demonstrated success in teaching and mentoring students
* Demonstrated competence in family research methods and analysis
* Junior scholars with a promising trajectory as indicated by a record of research activity and peer-reviewed publications
PHYSICAL ACTIVITIES ASSOCIATED WITH THIS POSITION
For questions regarding reasonable accommodations please contact the Office of Equal Opportunity and Compliance 479-575-4019.
* Manipulate items with fingers, including keyboarding
* Repetitive motion
The worker is required to have close visual acuity to perform an activity such as: preparing and analyzing data and figures; transcribing; viewing a computer terminal; extensive reading; and/or visual inspection at distances close to the eyes.
DOES THIS POSITION REQUIRE A MOTOR VEHICLE REPORTS CHECK*
DOES THIS POSITION REQUIRE A BACKGROUND CHECK*
IF YES, PLEASE SPECIFY
DOES THIS POSITION REQUIRE A SUBSTANCE ABUSE TEST*
PRE-EMPLOYMENT SCREENING REQUIREMENTS
The University of Arkansas is an equal opportunity, affirmative action institution. The university welcomes applications without regard to age, race, gender (including pregnancy), national origin, disability, religion, marital or parental status, protected veteran status, military service, genetic information, sexual orientation or gender identity. Persons must have proof of legal authority to work in the United States on the first day of employment. All applicant information is subject to public disclosure under the Arkansas Freedom of Information Act.