Assistant Transportation Manager - Douglasville, GA
This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 9/3/2016
END DATE 10/8/2016
Gordon Food Service
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY Are you looking for a new opportunity with a strong, stable and financially smart company? Do you want the opportunity for advancement in your career? If so, Gordon Food Service could be the place for you; for more than a century we have been honoring our promises to our customers and employees. As one of the largest privately held foodservice distributors in North America, our family-owned company has a history of pursuing innovative ideas and building strong relationships.
The continued growth of current and new markets allows for the addition of new talent to join our team. We re seeking great people looking for professional and personal growth and a place to make a difference in people s lives. If you are interested in joining an innovative, supportive, values-driven company, we invite you to consider a career with Gordon Food Service.
The Assistant Transportation Manager supports the ongoing efforts and success to order to exceed our customers expectations through the training, coaching, and mentoring of our driving team.
Some of the essential functions of this position include:
* Assist in maintaining route balance and assignments, including temporary routing
* Responsible for dispatch, equipment assignments, and backhaul scheduling
* Facilitates and/or conducts regular driver meetings
* Ensures compliance with pertinent DOT, Federal, State, and Local regulations and requirements
* Mentors, motivates, and develops team members, acting as primary role model and resource
* Assists in the initiative for interviewing, hiring, training, and retaining of transportation associates
* Assists the Transportation Manager in conducting performance assessments, initiating the recognition of excellence or disciplinary action when appropriate
* Conducts analysis of vehicle, driver and route assignments for high utilization, increased efficiency and lower costs
* Regularly rides with drivers to provide coaching and training
* Serve as back up driver to help cover vacations, sick, and miscellaneous coverage as appropriate
* Performs administrative duties as assigned by the Transportation Manager
* Serve as the liaison between Sales Service Drivers, Sales, and Customers to determine cause and impact of service opportunities, providing appropriate solutions to key issues
* Ensures compliance with administrative policies, procedures, safety rules, and governmental regulations as well as departmental goals
Key qualifications and requirements for this position include:
* You must be 21years of age or older (required)
* High school diploma or GED equivalent (required)
* CDL Class A (Commercial Drivers License) (required)
* CDL-T certification preferred
* Two three years previous transportation experience and/or equivalent combination of education, training and experience
* Demonstrate effective leadership skills
* Able to write, speak, and communicate in English (required)
* Willing to relocate when needed
* Ability to work independently on varying schedules
* Strong attention to detail
* Effective problem-solving, time-management, communication, and organization skills
* Must have knowledge of DOT, OSHA, Smith System (Keys to Safe Driving) and dispatch procedures
* Some computer knowledge is preferred, Excel and Word, email software and internet applications preferred
* Knowledge of GFS Transpro, Xata, Cadec and other electronic job aids preferred
* Ability to lift and carry up to 100 pounds on a regular basis
Gordon Food Service values our customers and understands that their success is largely dependent upon their workforce. To demonstrate our commitment to our partnership, we will require any candidate who works for a GFS customer to provide a letter of support from their management if they are selected for the interview process.
We take care of each other at Gordon Food Service. Employees love our competitive benefit plans, which include all the things you would expect and a few that you might not! Click here for more details.
Why Work for Gordon Food Service? Gordon Food Service Stewardship Report
Gordon Food Service is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants and employees will receive consideration for employment, or in terms or conditions of employment, without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with disability.
All Gordon Food Service locations are tobacco free.